Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 11 months ago

Can I use jiu-jitsu solo drills as strength training for my kickboxing?

I have kickboxing 4 times a week. Can i do solo jiu-jitsu drills 20-30 mins after training for strength and endurance and maybe a nice body too. I just watch video of solo bjj drills and do them after training.

What's your opinion?

Favorite Answer

not really. im not saying it wont help. but theres a reason that in nearly every sport people train mimicking that particular sport. its because its simply a different kind of fitness. for example someone who can run a marathon might struggle with a equally strenuous long bike ride or swim. its just a different kind of thing you have to get used to. its also the reason many fitness experts recommend changing the exercises you do and not doing the same thing all the time. for example if you do pull ups one month maybe next month you should do something else like maybe pull ups on acrobat rings or something that targets similar muscles.

No it is not going to replace strength training. It is great exercise and part of your conditioning. It probably is not on the strength side of conditioning. Do not stop just add some exercises or weightlifting for strength.

Solo drills or forms/kata are like shadow boxing. Only 1 small part of the equation.