RiddleMeThis asked in HealthDental · 6 months ago

Oral surgeon wants to put my daughter to sleep for a simple tooth extraction?

My 9 year old daughter is calm and is not anxious while in the chair at the dentist. We were referred out to a new dental surgeon for a baby tooth extraction. The surgeon wants to give her general anesthesia and put her to sleep rather than just giving her local anesthesia at the site. It's going to cost me an additional $400 out of pocket just for the anesthesia because my insurance won't cover it. Is putting her to sleep really necessary for a simple tooth extraction or is this so that the office can make more money? I remember having a stubborn baby tooth extracted when I was a kid and was only given Novocaine. I never felt a thing. My other daughter also had an infected baby tooth extracted by a different surgeon when she was about 9 years old and she too was only given Novocaine.

• Vortex

It sounds like an unnecessary risk for a baby tooth. I would not let him do it that way.

• JJ

NOT without a specific reason

• Marc

You are ultimately the decision maker for your childs healthcare. IF you dont want it then the dr cant do it. You can request local and if they wont do it then find a new denist who will follow your wishes.

Refuse. Get another practitioner who listens to YOUR wishes instead of forcing HIS ideas on you.

• Tavy

As a former U.K. Dental Nurse I am shocked what US Dentists do for money. Baby teeth have very thin roots, one little tug and it's out. To put her out for this is totally unnecessary. Say No, and if he objects go elsewhere.

We also never take out wisdom teeth unless they cause overcrowding or are decayed, OR use syringes to flush out sockets.

Rant over.

UK

If I were you, I'd stay in the room. Maybe gas instead? They're in it for the money, after all.