Is it wrong to raise children without TV?

A female co-worker and I were just talking and she mentioned that she has a friend who is raising her 2 your daughters without TV. She said they don't even own one. I told her that she's more than capable of doing that but when those kids get to the age of venturing out on their own they are liable to go hog wild with all the new experiences. She mentioned that's not always the case depending upon who you hang out with. In my upbringing I can't say I knew anyone who was raised without a TV in the home. Maybe because they couldn't afford one but not by a parent's choice. She showed me a pic of the family and they looked like they had no idea what any type of fashion was. The mom had very long hair and the kids did too. Again, nothing wrong with that, I just think that these kids don't adjust well to society once they are on their own. Your thoughts? Would you raise your kids without any TV and do you think it will affect them later in life?

I patterned my response to Amish rumspringa where those teens are allowed off the settlement for a period of about 2 years and they literally go hog wild with all the new experiences they've been sheltered from all their lives. I'm not saying to use TV as a baby sitter but I don't see how preventing them from any TV would be beneficial to them. TV is not a bad thing is monitored but to have your kids grow up with no knowledge of it is strange to me.

• 1 year ago

I don't think It's necessarily wrong but they'll probably get really bored if you raise them without television and especially on days where they can't go outside due to bad weather so in my opinion, it's best to raise them with television and computer but don't let them spend too much time on it. For example while I was growing up, my dad raised me with a television and computer but I wasn't allowed to spend allday on either of them but back then I didn't care because I wasn't even that interested in tv or computer time and would have rather gone horseback riding or to a swimming pool. As for the woman who doesn't own a television, well they're probably an Amish family because raising children without technology is part of the Amish culture.

• 1 year ago

The child would be missing out on TONS of useful information from the TV .... What would be next ? Take away their internet as well ??

• 1 year ago

The best way to rise a child is with NO TV, no computer, no electronics. Kids don't need them and will do far, far better with out them and will be a better person. They won't whine and cry for electronics and waste hours on end each day on them

• Pippin
    1 year ago

Is it 'wrong?' No, of course it's not 'wrong.' It's a parent's choice what to buy for their home. Of course they are aware that tv's exist -- unless they never leave their homes and never have exposure to ANY sort of media (including books.)

But NO idea what long hair has to do with anything. I have long hair. My husband has long hair. My daughter has long hair. I know many people (of all ages and genders) with long hair who do own televisions.

• 1 year ago

Not at all. It is short sighted to believe a child would suffer from not watching tv too. Your grandparents or great grandparents didn't have tv and they turned out just fine, in fact they could have been better off from it becoming better readers than the tv generations that followed.

• edward
    1 year ago

Apparently they don’t read magazines either. Since you say they have no fashion

1 year ago

No I wouldn't, and yes it will affect them. They'll be called weird and dorky. The mother is wrong. What about a computer? They will have to have that for their education.

• 1 year ago

Since most of what is shown on TV is not fit to be seen or government owned or someones opinion/gossip, I think these kids will have a mind of their own with no outside influence.

I know a family without TV and they are very close, independent, and very intelligent.

• Amelia
    1 year ago

There was a girl I went to school with who grew up without a tv. I follow her on Facebook now that we're adults. She seems to purposefully want to be a little different from the mainstream. She's in an open relationship and regularly attends the Burning Man event. But she seems to be doing fine. She has a successful career as a veterinarian and friends she's happy with. She's also posted how she appreciates her parents raising her to be an independent person. I don't really see a problem with her not being raised with a television.

• Mark
    1 year ago

No. What you don't have, you don't miss, except for toilet paper. :-)

My friend grew up with not eating presugared cereal or putting sugar on things like corn flakes, and she grew up fine.