2001 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4 4x4 lights popup on dash right before I start it. Turn selector knob and absolutely nothing happens.?

When I turn the 4x4 selector knob nothing happens

I'm pointing out that the light comes on before it starts because its not the actual 4x4 module thats the issue like everyone assumes from he start.

Go to the dealer and they will scan the transmission and transfer case for codes.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

The truck itself runs fine. Ive got an 07 with 210k miles lol. Itll still run for a while, too. The 4x4 selector knob... To change it from 2 wheel drive to 4hi, or 4low

• Ian K

Does every other light on the dash also come on?

Pretty much every car made in last few decades does this, lets you know they work.

• .

If your truck won't start, get a free test of the battery and alternator at an auto parts store. But there's a possibility you have a vehicle with more than 150,000 miles. Unless you're the original owner and have already poured a lot of money into upkeep, I'd sell it for whatever you can get.

For a 2001 Ford, you can't assume they will last much longer than 150k.

The warning lights on the dash are supposed to come on before you start it. This is to show you that these lights work.

Do not know what 'selector knob' you are turning .