Landlord wants to show our house while we are still living here?

Because of a sudden loss of income, our landlord in Hollywood FL agreed to a lease amendment to allow us to leave the house on 9/10. His property manager/realtor now wants us to allow her to show the house before we leave. Are we required to do this?

Favorite Answer

Yes he can, barring local laws to the contrary.

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Rental_Basics/Under_...

83.53 Landlord's access to dwelling unit.--

(1) ...............exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.

• Nora4 months agoReport

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Finally stumbled on that a the Florida state website myself....

You need to give him reasonable access to show the place, yes. Just make sure you get proper notice (24 hours) and ask him to walk around with anyone looking at the place. Also not a bad idea to hide or remove any valuables. He did allow you a lease ammendment you might consider showing him a bit more courtesy.

Unfortunately with a certain amount of notice and agreement on appropriate times you are expected to comply. I agree it would be totally irksome but I think you have the right to refuse access when you are not at home yourself.

Required? No.

But nice to do after he gave you a break and is allowing you to move out and break the lease without charging you for that.

The answer is probably in your lease. Check it. However, no matter what it says, let the house be shown without disturbance. you will get a better reference that way.

With reasonable advance notice, yes.

Stop and think about this. You want out early and your landlord graciously agreed when he didn't have to, and you don't think he should be allowed to find someone to replace you? He must wait until you are out? Isn't that a 'sudden loss of income' for him?

The vast majority of leases include provisions about showing the unit once notice has been provided of an intent to vacate. Generally speaking, 24 hours notice.

You don't need to be present, there is no requirement that you be present for the showing...I'm sure you would prefer to be, but the inconvenience is not their responsibility in this instance.

You asked for special treatment, so it would be polite to return the favor.

• Eva

It's not your house, it's the landlord's house. It would appear that he's let you break your lease with repercussions. He wasn't required to do that. You should be grateful that he isn't penalizing you. You are required to allow the agent to show the house upon 24 hrs notice.

• Nuff Sed

It's the landlord's house, but the tenant's home. Charging the agreed rent for the agreed period is not "penalizing" a tenant when a tenant decides to leave early.

• Judy

uh, yes........................

• Marduk

What are you hiding. Common practice so he doesn't lose rental income. I remember when my friends and I were renting and the agent showed the uptight clients my sleeping nude roommate, LMFAO!!! Not to mention the stack of beer cans. It was hilarious time and, of course, we lost our deposit!!! It was worth it.

• Nora4 months agoReport

Lol! Not hiding anything, just a major inconvenience while I am looking for a new job... although the stack of beer cans (well, actually cheap white wine bottles) was there until yesterday....