lizzy asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 months ago

Is there a portable cooker you can recommend?

I work home health care but can rarely eat, let alone heat up, my food at my client's home. There are small slow cookers but they are SLOW cookers. Are there any that are easy to transport, able to power through the car and can cook something quickly?

• Kaz
    Favorite Answer

You might try "steam bags." You just throw them in the microwave for 1 minute or so, and your meal is ready to eat. You can prepare a meal at home - works great with leftovers, keep it in a cooler bag (or refrigerate) until you want to eat it. You'll save a lot of money, and get a great healthy meal. Most places have a microwave and it would be much easier than lugging around a slow cooker.

Google: Ziploc "Zip'n Steam" cooking bags. I use them all the time and they are fabulous.

• IvaB

Personally,I think its' not such a good idea to cook in your car.I totally agree with other posters who recommend cooking at home and using a thermal thingy to keep it hot.

For less than $100.00 you can have a 1,000 watt, 120 volt inverter in your car. This will power a microwave or an inversion hot plate in your car. This would power most slow cookers, but you don't want to drain your battery while the engine is off.

You can also buy extremely effective insulated cooler boxes that will keep food hot for several hours.

• denise

You could take some chunky soup in a Thermos flask, there are toaster bags nowadays, you could make up a sandwich at home, take it with you in the toaster bag, then cook it in the toaster where you go, A toasty and some soup would be tasty and keep you going until your meal at home.

have you ever used a pressure cooker? They are extremely fast and convenient!

• John

They aren't great food and I only got some not long ago for an emergency kit (earthquakes, here). MRE's are a complete meal and come with a heater that takes a half cup of water. They are a cross between canned food and an airplane meal, but they are portable. Look to Ebay, search for "military MRE". to find genuine. The heater is no joke - meals are piping hot.

There are camping stoves, one burner, that run on small butane canisters. You'd want a heat-proof level surface to use it on. That can be hard to manage in a car. I can't recommend any because I haven't used them myself, but there are a number of cooking devices meant for using in a car, including microwave ovens. Google 'portable cookers for car/truck'

But unless you want the hot food 12 hours after you leave home, a thermos is the simplest alternative. One of those will keep food hot for hours.

Nothing like this exists because it's a really REALLY stupid idea to cook something in your goddamn car. Take a sandwich, for crying out loud.

Why not cook the food at home, then keep warm or cold in a thermos. Bring with you.

• Mark

That would be too simple. A lot of people on here seem to like to ask weird questions, like "I want to go between North America and Europe, but don't want to take a ship or plane. How can I do this?"

• Mark

In the CAR? A camp stove. In a house, several.