Scott asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 months ago

Which health care system is better America or Canada?

Some say America is better some say Canada is better

• A.J.
    Favorite Answer

Better for who? If wealthy, or have a good job with excellent medical benefits, a person can get the finest treatment in the world in the USA. The typical American gets lower quality care in the USA overall. the US health care system is broken end to end. It is 19% of the GDP vs 11.3% in Canada.

I could write pages about how different they are.

Canada has the far more efficient system and full coverage and although some care is metered out in waiting lists, it is not bankrupting the people and nation as a whole.

Canada's system can be improved, certainly, but the US System needs an overhaul.

The administrative costs in the USA are higher than the actual medical servicing.

I went to the doctor for antibiotics for a bacterial infection. I have government subsidized Obamacare. First time visit. Waited two days after calling. Filled out a 3 page form. 45 minutes wait time on arrival. Medical tech takes weight, height, blood pressure, body temperature, asks some questions that were answered on the form. Waited 15 more minutes in the examination room. Doctor walks in, looks at my throat, asks a couple of more questions, says he's prescribing an antibiotic. Walks out. It lasted under 1 minute. I left the office, drove to the pharmacy, waited 30 minutes, picked up a vial of pills.

I paid $20 cash to the doctor and $10 for the prescription. $175 per month for my insurance and Federal government kicks in $500 per month. Doctor's office billed the insurance company for $240. Insurance company sends me a letter that they paid the doctor's office $110 and the rest of the $240 is cancelled and won't get paid. No idea what the pharmacy and drug manufacturer and distributor got out of it.

Add 30% for $CAD.

This is a low maintenance use of the medical system.

In 8 months, I paid $30 direct medical bills, $1400 insurance. US Government paid $4000 to the insurance company. Medical office received $130 for about 4 minutes labor. Drug industry got their piece. That is for a healthy person. Each person is in a different situation. It is hard to compare.

My father, 94 years old, on Federal Medicare system with supplemental payments monthly insurance, goes to a hospital as outpatient every two weeks for a treatment and hospital bills Medicare $8000 every two weeks. No idea what the Federal government actually pays the hospital.

You should not be able to get a clear answer, but the structure of Medical care in Canada is a better system.

the only thing about health care systems that matters is the quality of them, if you want better quality health care you're going to have to pay, Canada's health care is free.

Canada has a population that is less than the size of California's population so the US has more extensive medical expertise mainly due to its relative size.

The Canadian system is better in that it covers all of its citizens and is paid for through taxes, not point of service fees.

Also, Canadians spend less on health care and live longer than people in the US.

• TomB

All one has to do is take a good long look at all of the problems with the VA healthcare system to begin to understand what will happen if we let the US Government socialize and manage our Healthcare.

• David

Ask some of the Canadians that are getting treatments in US Cancer Hospitals.

• Mark

The US has generally better health care, but Canadians don't have to pay for theirs up-front. (No one gets bankrupted for having the gall to get cancer.)

• Randy

Both have their plusses and minuses. But you cannot go bankrupt in Canada getting health care, so there's that huge plus.

People from all over the world come to America for care.

• Vela

Canada.

I have cousins who live there