Dirac
Lv 4
Dirac asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 6 months ago

During a solar minimum we just had the hottest month ever recorded, where was the "cooling"?

SORCE measurements show a dip in the total solar irradiance (TSI), but they were not enough to offset the warming and the TSI was actually slightly greater than during the last minimum in 2009. Does this mean calls for "cooling" from the solar cycle are wrong?

Update:

I'm posting more questions than I normally would, because there seems to be an active effort by a troll to delete or move questions and suppress free speech about science.

Update 2:

The geologist got so wrapped up in the word "hottest" that he failed to actually address the question, so for those of you that are equally offended, substitute "month with the highest temperature" for "hottest month." It sounds a bit stilted to me, but I don't want to get in way of anyone actually talking about science.

Update 3:

Apparently these "bots" that the troll goes on about aren't very effective--I keep having to move my questions back to global warming.

Attachment image

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Obviously, there is no cooling. The effect of the Sun probably cancelled some of the effect of adding greenhouse gases to the atmosphere, but not by enough to cause cooling.

And, if we are due for a Grand Minimum, since it is during the Sunspot minimum of the last Sunspot cycle before the Grand Minimum, the Grand Minimum isn't coming. It is already here. Which means an epic fail for predictions that a Grand Minimum would lead to deep cooling.

Edit;

Ask the geologist how nice it has been in the Netherlands.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-weather-netherl...

• ...Show all comments
    • Dirac
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

Sure, you can't trust NASA or NOAA or BEST or JMA or even UAH, since they just had the 4th warmest July of all time.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

The denier theory is that lower sunspot activity will lead to cooling, it’s a theory they have been trying to push on and off since the early 2000’s usually linked to just one ancient Russian scientist. It’s had a resurgence ever 3-4 years ever since it first appear over 15 years ago. That the climate record shows no sign of any cooling over that period, is yet again something deniers simply ignore. That current cooler years are now warmer than record warm years back in the 1990s is something else deners simply ignore.

• F
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I've no idea whether the temperature on earth has anything to do with solar minimums etc. , but if it did, surely there would be a time lag for the earth to heat or cool. It's similar to the temperature of the sea (Northern Hemisphere) reaching a maximum in early September even though July is usually the hottest month.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

No - it's not wrong just not significant - and we knew this beforehand. Global warming is caused by human activity - mostly burning fossil fuels. This has been settled science for decades, the only ones in doubt are American republicans - the scourge of the earth!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

republicans are bad for democracy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Notice:

This question is currently* being controlled by a bot. That means that the question can't be moved from its current category. If it is moved to any other category, the bot automatically returns it to Global Warming in ~2 minutes.

You can see this for yourself with your Level 7 account:

Move this question to ANY category

Wait about two minutes

Hit your Refresh button

The question will have returned to Global Wamring

Bot tagging questions is against Yahoo policy. The OP, himself, is unable to move his own question.

Bot tagging is done by paid trolls. Dirac lied about the bot's existence, but then he approved it.

* Note that a question might or might not be bot tagged at any particular point. I've been exposing the paid trolls' bot tagging. Every time I point out a question being bot tagged--they take it off the bot. You can however, see the bot in action with many other troll questions here.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sunspot's are largely insignificant when it comes to the warming or cooling of the planet, the last period of extremely low activity, called the maunder minimum had next to zero effect on global temperatures.

The little ice age (sometimes attributed to this period) was caused by volcanic activity.

• 6 months ago

The vast majority of high quality long-term temperature data comes from the US, and in fact much of the planet has little or no long-term temperature data. Because of the poor coverage, it is doubtful that the published global temperature record has any scientific validity. The US is one of very few places with reliable temperature data.

https://realclimatescience.com/61-fake-data/

• ...Show all comments
    • Darwinist
      Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

Generic tires dialogue? What on earth do you mean by that?

The only "research" your side posts is either riddled with basic errors, or doesn't support the claims you make for it!

Yahoo Joker; STILL the most delusional "skeptic" of them all.

• 6 months ago

A screen shot from NOAA's site a moment ago.

Seems to be a disconnect between NOAA and your claims. This is a monthly thing with NOAA. With all the temperature data manipulation past and present, one doesn't know what to believe.

Also the official start of the Solar Grand Minimum has not been announced yet, it is assumed to start in 2020. Get prepared for another harsh winter!!!

Check out the areas with no data and no thermometer units in grey.

Attachment image
  • JimZ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It wasn't the hottest month. It was the nicest month. Your misuse of English reveals that you aren't interested in facts or science. You are dyed in the wool wacko leftist. You are only interested in exaggerating the threat of CO2 and our wonderful climate so that you can push your leftist political agenda.

How petty you would look to anyone born 300 years ago when the climate was much cooler and crop failures were much more common. Starvation is worse than prosperity, but apparently not to alarmists.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If the sun got REALLY cool, we would feel it, but solar "cooling" generally means something like going from 40 million degrees to 39.5 million degrees.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.