Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 7 months ago

How can I show my teachers at school that I can be a leader?

It seems to me that the teachers can often be quite biased on leadership roles, giving them to students whose older siblings were past leaders. I'm not saying that they themselves are bad because I could name a couple who do an exceptional job, and a far better job than I possibly can. However, there's a select few who aren't really leaders, and are only doing it for the title and badge.

I'm not saying I'm a better leader than others. However, what I can say it I participate in a bit more extra-curricular activities provided by the school like after-school band, or might even try out for the girls basketball team during the season. I also often help with the community by preparing packages for the homeless people so they have at least the necessities to live. In my school's current leaders, I could only say 2 out of 9 do the same, voluntarily.

It just seems to me that because my relationship with the teachers aren't as close and open as the others who've had older siblings, my efforts go unnoticed or tossed aside and won't even be considered as a leader.

I've also noticed that the leaders have a more open relationship with the teachers, often telling them everything happening with their lives.

Favorite Answer

I don't really know, or even speculate, with no info about the individual or the location and gade. But the teachers, I imagine, are relating to students and (s/he) probably the ones who are most like herself. So it is just a thing, or not a thing--the popular students, the "teacher's pet" is accomplished.

• Elaine

Relationships with teachers have nothing to do with it. While you could ask the teachers to give you leadership roles the reality is that it doesn't work that way. You have to show that you have leadership skills. You could be the lowest man on the totem pole and still be a leader. When you are in a group do others listen to your ideas and give positive feedback? Critically look at people who are leaders and notice what they have in common. You could be the nominal head of a group or be in a position of authority and still not be the leader. Take Angela Merkel as an example. While she is chancellor of Germany which is only one country in the EU the rest of the world pays attention to what she says and does. Many world leaders look to her, not Donald Trump for leadership in issues. It is not the number of extra-curricular activities that make you a leader; it is what you do when you participate in them.

The answer is amazingly simple and very few people actually do it: Talk to your teacher and let him/her know that you would like to be considered for leadership positions. That way a teacher is much more likely to give you a chance. After that YOU have to show your leadership abilities.

• not

People don't pick leaders based off of applicable skills. They do it by who they like. Be liked.

by being a good example

focus on grades and supporting people that need help in their personal lives such as insecure people. Sounds like you are thinking too much about yourself and not enough about others.

Idkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk