Kennel Attendants, is this normal for a working interview?

A week ago, I had a working interview with a clinic's dog boarding section for their Kennel Attendant role, and some thing struck me as odd. Of course, this was my first working interview, so I'm not sure if this would be considered normal. When I got there, everyone was nice and welcoming, I filled in an application, etc., and the hiring manager brought me back to the kennels. So far, so good. She immediately left me with another employee who'm I basically followed around, and asked questions about what needed to be done. However, I was never shown how things worked or where everything needed to be, I had to ask basic questions like 'Where does this go?' or 'How do I work this (in regards to sanitation)?' Which, in regards to the second question, fair enough I did have work experience so they probably assumed I used something like that before, but I at least generally expect to be shown around and where things go, as different clinics may work differently. I was also approached by the hiring manager close to my shifts end, and she asked if I could stay an hour extra, which was fine with me. Close to the hour I was originally supposed to leave, another employee told me it was fine to go and that the manager wouldn't care. Also, I haven't yet been paid for the interview. Is this a normal thing with working interviews at kennels, or should i be suspicious?

A clarification seems to be needed here.

About the money. I should have clarified that the not being paid part was only added in case in meant something to the problem. I don't honestly care that I wasn't paid, and I was not aware that most working interview do not end in pay as I read most should.

• Casey

a working interview wouldn't be a tour, but there should be some guidance. though its hard to say how normal it would be from your description. Typically a shadow/working interview you would follow an employee around to see the job/participate as though you were the first day on the job training. Sounds like the employee they paired you with just sucks at training.

not sure where you go the idea you'd be paid. Working interviews don't typically pay as they are interviews. Its a test to see how well you work/what your skills are/if you seem to have the experience you say you do. It part of the process to decide if you hire worthy. Unless they tell you specifically that its a paid working interview, you're not going t get paid.

I've never heard of anyone being paid to go to a job interview. Maybe, if you're applying for a very highly paid job, and if you have to travel across the country for the interview, the company might pay your travel expenses.

You don't need to be told how absolutely everything works at an interview. Once you get the job is when you'll need to know how everything works.

I have just two comments to make about this -

1. Unless payment for the first interview (and work) was promised beforehand, don't expect to be paid.

2. If you didn't feel comfortable about the expererience, move on. This clearly isn't the position for you.

• Maxi

Clearly the person who you shadowed was not the right person and didn't have any training skills required to train you and the whole time you were there it was an interview, including being spontaniously asked to stay an hour longer.....

Unless you discussed and agreed a fee for attending the interview, normally interviews including working ones are not paid, sometimes traveling is paid for and meal provided or reimbursed if you are there during lunchtime

I don't think the setting for the interview is especially important to what happened. It sounds like the current staff weren't cooperating with what the manager wanted. This could be because the manager:

didn't communicate what she wanted;

the staff don't like/respect the manager;

the staff didn't feel it was their job to show you round or assess your suitability;

the staff feel threatened by the prospect of someone new coming on board in general; and/or

the staff felt threatened by you (e.g. your experience).

Regarding payment for the interview: if it was agreed beforehand that you would be paid then of course you need to eventually ensure you get paid. If payment wasn't discussed beforehand then I don't think you should expect any. Some interviewers routinely pay travel expenses or other out of pocket expenses, some don't. I don't think it's a legal requirement. If payment was agreed beforehand, wait until a decision is made on your employment before requesting this (in writing).

If the kennels are attached to a veterinarian (is that what you meant by clinic?) then I don't think you should be suspicious or assume you're being ripped off, since in my opinion vet clinics are usually legitimately run businesses (with vocational professionals owning and/or managing them). The kennel staff might not live up to this standard, however they're not the owners. Ultimately if you feel you were badly or wrongly treated, write to one of the clinicians after you receive a rejection letter (should that be the outcome).