Kiki asked in HealthWomen's Health · 4 months ago

Is it possible for your ob gyn to tell if you've missed your period?

For a bunch ofreasons, I dont want my ob gyn to let my parents to know I had my period (its stigmatized in my family but I prefer not to get into the details). I'm still not a legal adult and this is my first appointment, so I'm pretty sure my parents are involved in the appointment.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

How can any parent be mad at their child for a natural process that their body goes through ?? I’m confused by this

• D_21
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

There's not really anyway to tell by looking at you or any part of your body. However, most girls start getting their period during middle school or high school. This is normal and healthy. The doctor will know that.

If it is a gyno appointment they are going to ask you if you have a period and specifically when the last one was.

Here in the United States you do not have to let your parents or anyone go in the exam room with you. There's no law or anything. However, I don't know your parents. Your mom might try to insist on going in with you. You can ask her to stay back in the waiting room. Depending on your family that might upset them. I don't know.

Doctor patient confidentiality laws as they apply to minors vary from state to state. Most doctors will try to protect your privacy. However, as a minor your parents are legally responsible for you, and especially if their insurance is covering the visit....it is likely they can access your medical records. Meaning anything you or the doctor writes down on paper or puts in the computer.

Maybe try talking to your mom about it in private before going? I realize it may be stigmatized, but your mom obviously has a period, or she wouldn't have children. Hopefully, she will kind of understand, and be able to help you through this.

• 4 months ago

It's normal to have irregular periods as a teenager. I doubt the ob gyn would be able to tell if you missed one though. I'm not sure where you live but here in the US there are strict HIPAA laws that prevent personal medical info from being shared (including to parents after the child is a certain age).

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

WHY are your going to an OB/GYN if you are still a minor. Are you having problems or are you sexually active?

Your family doctor can do an exam that you need.

And no they can't tell unless you tell them

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

So do not go if you do not want to, they can't drag you there!

• 4 months ago

No, they cant tell, but I am confused by your question, and if you are a certain age, everyone will assume you have periods as all women have them--all women.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You need to tell us your Country? As far as I know your medical details are private in most countries in the western world.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Are you in the US or UK? Patients have rights to confidentiality over reproductive health starting at the age of 13.

Just ask the doctor to not say anything. They CAN'T by law (unless you are hurting yourself or others).

Not just US and UK.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

missed period / had period, im confused

• juliet
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

I’m not even sure what you’re asking. You don’t want your parents to know you’ve had a period? A natural process?

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

No .. your doctor won't be able to "disprove" you, if you tell him you missed a period. But, if you HAVEN'T missed a period, why would you want to tell him you had? If you HAVE missed a period, why wouldn't you tell him so?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.