g
g asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 9 months ago

2666 on 2133 mobo?

I have a bm-150a motherboad which has a max ram frequency of 2133.

It currently has 8g of ddr4 2133 ram which I would like to add to.

Since I purchased it two years ago, the availability of 2133 ram has diminished and now all I can find is 2666 ram.

I don't know if this is will cause any issues. I've read the bios or something will "downclock" or whatever that means to make it work.

What I would like to know is if it causes any issues, or maybe it will not get the most out of the ram because of the mismatch. Should I get 2133 ram if I am able to find it or will it not make a difference.

Anything else I should know or look into in the specs?

Favorite Answer

see the motherboard's website and read the support tab for notes telling you this might not work. might be better to simply replace all the ram with units from same batch and speed ... assures fewer problems. and it should run fine at 2133 instead of 2666

The 2666 ram should run at a lower clock speed if your chipset doesn’t support the higher speed.