Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 months ago

Does gloat mean to take pleasure in the misfortune of others or pain of others?

Update:

Thank you anon, even though I don't see your answer here except in notifications. I appreciate for answering. Maybe your answer will show up later here.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Zapata
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Not specifically, although it is often used that way.. Properly, it means to show boastful and conceited pleasure at your own successes.

• JOHN
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The word 'schaudenfreude', which derives from the German, but has long since been naturalised into English, expresses the meaning you cite exactly. The meaning of 'gloat' overlaps with that of schaudenfreude, but is not coextensive with it. One online dictionary I've looked up has as the definition of 'gloat' " to dwell on one's own success or another's misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure", and I think this expresses the meaning very well.

• 4 months ago

That's not really what it means. Gloat can mean feeling pleasure, but it could

be over something simple like: "I was right and you were wrong."

So that's not really the misfortune of someone else.

I would describe it as a self-centered, devious pleasure.

• 4 months ago

No, not necessarily. One can gloat without anyone else being at a disadvantage.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

No. The word for that is schadenfreude. To gloat means to take an oversized measure of pleasure at one's own triumphs over others. To gloat is to be overly boastful, to have an air of superiority about you.

• 4 months ago

sort of, yes. it tends to carry an added idea of making the victim of your action aware of your pleasure in their misfortune. It isn't really gloating unless you are openly declaring a derision at the misfortune of the other.

• 4 months ago

No it is to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Yes.

The German word Schadenfreude express it better.

• 4 months ago

Yes it does my friend.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.