Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 4 months ago

Photography/Video taking and editing question !! help much appreciated?

I am filming a glass white board to make educational videos however the white board is glass thus reflects everything in the room into the footage which is distracting from whats actually being written.

is there any way to fix this?

either in the filming process or editing process

the white board is one color (white) so idk if i could edit it to only appear white besides the marker, i tried upping the brightness and playing with contrast but makes my face look weird as i'm standing in front of the board

while buying my DSLR camera someone told me i could purchase a lens to reduce the reflection in the glass but i'm not sure

ALL HELP APPRECIATED THANK YOUUU SOO MUCH!!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

A lot of people use a dark flag to mitigate reflection, people have also suggested the polarizing filter.

• 4 months ago

Use a black background and shoot off dead

Square so if it reflects it only does so with back

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Photography school

• qrk
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Unfortunately, polarizing filters don't work on situations where the reflected objects are near-normal to the glass plane. You need to put up a black backdrop in plane with your camera and/or side light the board so that rest of the room isn't illuminated.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

A polarizer could very easily be the answer to your question -as pointed out by keerok. A polarizer will only work if the light source is at or near a 90 degree angle to the plane of the sensor. In other words, if the light is directly overhead (90 degrees) then the polarizer will be at its most effective. As the light source moves forward, towards the glass white board, the polarizer becomes less effective. This can be seen when photographing landscapes. With the Sun directly overhead, the polarizer really darkens the blue sky, but when the Sun is in the frame, say when taking a sunset shot with the Sun near the horizon pointed directly at the camera, then the polarizer has zero effect.

So a polarizer should help, maybe even a lot. However, to do this without a polarizer, one would have to either turn the lights off (not sure if you will be able to see the board with the lights off) or ensure that all of the light sources are at a 45 degree angle to the plane of the white board. This is basic lighting 101. Angle of incidence (the light source) equals the angle of reflectance. Therefore, the glare that you see will only be visible if you stand at a 45 degree angle to the board. At 90 degrees, you see nothing but a nice clean, reflection-free board. Trick is getting the lights at this angle is not always feasible or possible.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hooray
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

As Keerok advised, a polarising filter is the obvious solution. This may or may not eliminate all of the reflections depending on the exact circumstances, but it will certainly reduce them. For instructional video you can probably get away with an inexpensive filter. Better quality polarisers suffer from less flare and other abberations, but the issue you're facing is not a challenging one to an experienced photographer and I think a cheap filter will be sufficient.

Try adjusting the positions, angles, and types of lighting in use. You will probably find it especially hard to filter out any light sources reflecting directly so try to prevent that entirely with thoughtful positioning. If the situation prevents this you can retouch the images, perhaps a Patch tool for speed and effectiveness, but better to prevent in the first place.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Polarizer in front of the lens?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.