Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 12 months ago

How can someone have a doctorate in biology and not accept evolution?

It would be very improbable, but a pig skin doesn't make one smart.

They let their religion get mixed up with science. The two do not mix or even have the same purpose.

Evolution exists it's like God you just have to believe it exists

Because that person is probably a Christian. Evolution has been disproved many times by Christians.

There are doctorates and doctorates. If you had a Ph. D. from Harvard, it would be extremely unlikely. If it came from Liberty University, it would be extremely unlikely that you even knew anything about organic evolution. When I did my doctoral work, I referenced the work of a creationist. Obviously, our interpretations of his results were different.

He kept his big mouth shut until after he got tenure.

• Tom S

I doubt it would happen, if so I would say shear willful ignorance. But one would just not pass tests needed to get such a degree in biology.

• Cowboy

If that doctorate came from a religious institution, they may have been indoctrinated in an alternative evolutionary theory cooked up by Christian Dominionists.

• Nancy

Because the former is not a prerequisite of the latter. In fact, at that level of education, it would be readily acceptable in academia for one to challenge the prevailing theories. Science, in fact, is predicated on scientists doing just that -- challenging the current science with non-acceptance as that is how knowledge is furthered and expanded.

By the way, "not accepting" something isn't the same as rejecting it. "Not accepting" something merely means that you find the evidence isn't enough to convince you, which means you don't know whether or not it's true, not that you think it's false. Science, truth, these things spring from those who claim to not know, not from those who claim to.