At the Hospital, Do Different Positions Wear Different Colored Scrubs?

Is it based on preference or do hospitals say what positions (doctors, orderlies, nurses, techs.) wear certain colors?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Most hospitals set a certain color scrubs for each position where employees wear scrubs, so they are easily identified.

• Jason
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

It varies from hospital to hospital. At my current hospital, each department has their own colors (Navy for RNs, Olive for RTs, royal blue for PT/OT/professional services, teal for assistive personnel, etc.). My last hospital did not; everybody wore pretty much whatever scrubs they wanted.

Color-coding departments has advantages and disadvantages. The upside is during an emergency you can look around and at a glance know who is there and who isn't. Nobody screams "CALL RESPIRATORY!!!" because they can see there are two sets of olive scrubs in the room.

Conversely, there is a very real social order to the hospital and color-coding sets up a class structure. I have a friend who is a paramedic who teaches ACLS in our hospital system. His main job is teaching in the nursing and EMS education department. He also works the occasional shift as an EKG tech just to round out his schedule. He was doing an EKG and his patient coded. He called the code and started CPR. A nurse came in and kicked him out saying: "Teal doesn't go in the room." He's the guy who TEACHES nurses how to respond to codes, but because of the color of his uniform, a nurse kicked him out. So it can be a problem.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist Working on my master's in nursing
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Its usually hospital policy

Since most Drs are not hospital employees very few wear scrubs unless they are doing surgery

• edward
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The surgeons wear navy, housekeeping wear a kind of teal, nurses wear all sorts of colours i choose to wear white.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Some do and others do not. Docs usually wear a white coat, that's about the only thing you can guarantee...

• 1 year ago

They often do, but not always.

• :)
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

For the most part yes. But if you’re in any area with an OR (ie: PACU, same day surgery, labor and delivery), everyone wears the same scrubs for sterile purposes. I did an internship this summer on labor and delivery, and everyone, including the cleaning staff, wore the same, aqua scrubs.

But on other floors, nurses and doctors may wear the same colors, but everyone else is different

• 1 year ago

usually nurses, CNA, and the cleaning ladies will wear different colored scrubs so it’s easier for the patients and hospital staff to identify who is who.

• 1 year ago

where i live only doctors wear white smocks, the rest of them wear blue outfits

• 1 year ago

Lots of hospitals have this protocol, but not all

What color they wear is different for each hospital.

Doctors generally wear suits or golf clothes and maybe a white coat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.