Anonymous

My friend who is a female has applied for SSI I am on SSD we decided to get a joint PO Box due to nosy neighbors could this cause problems?

We are not married I am on SSDI We got a joint PO Box to save money Will this screw up my SSDI in anyway

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Social security doesn't care one iota about your living arrangements; it has no impact on a social security benefit because social security isn't a welfare benefit.

However SSI is - it is a federal welfare program. She is required to report changes in her income, resources and living arrangements. As long as you aren't holding yourselves out to the public as husband and wife your income will not impact her benefit amount. However, if she lives with you, her living arrangements could if she isn't paying her fair share of household expenses.

Everyone is required by law to report their actual residence whether they have a PO Box or direct deposit.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

People can share po boxes without living together.

do you mean will that make it look like you are living as married? not that alone (and it doesn't matter if the other person is male or female)