Royal asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

Is joining the NG or reserves worth it for me?

I joined active airforce as a Fireman at 18 and got out at 20 with a general discharge for underage drinking. Now I m 28, i work as a FF/paramedic and make good money, have a wife and 3kids and am taking pre med classes with my GI bill. The general discharge has not affected me at all professionally. It has affected my mind in that it is a splinter or blemish that will never go away. I talked to an army recruiter who stated I could join the NG or reserves and come out with a fully honorable discharge. or should I just try and move on ?

Note I would probably have to do basic again and go to tech school again. Also i doubt I can upgrade my discharge.

Favorite Answer

Move on and get over it.

Think about it, you want to up end your life, put your family through whatever, leave them for however long, abandon whatever career you are presently in, all so you can feel better about yourself. You were young and dumb and made a mistake. You're 28, you should be mature enough to forgive yourself for **** and not care what it says on some stupid paper. It's not worth it, mate. It doesn't sound like anybody is giving you **** about it except yourself. If you want to feel better about it, see a counselor.

I think you need to consider the long term ramifications of enlisting into the Guard or Reserves and how that would effect your current employment situation and family negatively. There are also those positive aspects like if you serve 18 more years and then get out with a pension that starts at age 62 as well to balance against this. Otherwise I would think that any short term aspects like it erasing your general discharge really would be outweighed by the negative aspects surrounding your employment and having to go off to basic and then AIT or tech school following that since you have a wife an three children now.

• ricky

5 years ago, I was cured from hepatitis I contracted in the 70’s from a blood transfusion. On July 15th, the Dallas VA removed cancer from my liver. Over$200K expense cost me under a hundred bucks. But you would have to go active duty.

Move on

If you had a general discharge you would not be eligible for the GI Bill. Also only doing 2 years if it was an honorable discharge it would not be 100% covered.

Yes you would have to go through all of that again as it was 8 years ago.

ETA - your discharge must be Honorable to qualify for the GI Bill. If it is not then you are committing fraud.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/character_of_...

‘Discharge Requirements for Education Benefits

To receive VA education benefits and services through the Montgomery GI Bill program or Post-9/11 GI Bill program, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be honorable.‘

• radb7076 months agoReport

So are you saying Op is committing fraud or that his discharge isn t actually general? I don t see how he could be using his GI Bill if he doesn t qualify for it. At the same time, I don t see how this dude could apply and everything and not realize what his character of discharge is.

i dont know what the f­uck NG is. 2 points thanks