What does a heart attack feel like in a female?

For the past 3 days I have been experience a sharp pain in the left side of my chest that would come and go real fast. I'm afraid of having a heart attack. I'm 36 and afraid of every ache and pain I have. I know some people say women don't always feel heart attack pain in the chest, but why my grandmother died she had a pain that went through her back to her chest and it was a massive heart attack. I haven't had any other pain, but a lot of gas.

Favorite Answer

As far as I know it is constant pain and feels like an elephant sitting on your chest and it is hard to breath and you sweat

By all means if you suspect a heart attack you should have it checked out.  I had a similar pressure in my left shoulder area and  found out I Had an artery that was 95% blocked and could have ended up as a full blown heart attack 

• Lady1 month agoReport

It was actually high blood pressure lol. 

IF  you   that afraid   WHy NOT    go to the  ED   and  find out  what the problem is   I  have  never   felt a heart attack  as A woman  so I have no idea   however   There is  another  Type of  Pain  related  to Aortic  Aneurysms and  Dissections  which   can  be  many more  times   deadly they  "heart attacks" in fact   they kind of make  heart attacks look  like  a stubbed  toe in many cases  it could be  an peptic  ulcer   who knows?  Yahoo   cant   diagnose you  

Hello I am a pharmacy student and have some helpful information for you! I hope you were seen for the pain you were experiencing but in the future there are some signs and symptoms you can be aware of. Signs of a heart attack in women include lightheadedness or dizziness, vomiting, any upper back pressure, chest pressure, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, pain in just one or both of your arms, neck, jaw or stomach. Although women are less likely to experience chest pain and more of the other symptoms, it is still a possibility. If you experience any of these symptoms for greater than 5 minutes and can not think of a cause, call 9-1-1 right away. Getting help right away is important for ensuring the treatment is most effective. Also with your family history you may be at more of a risk and should talk to your doctor about this. If you need more information about this a helpful resource is from the American Heart Association. https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/heart-attac...

With a female while you tend to see pain in the left arm and jaw area, it is worth remembering that cardiac pain is almost never respiratory mediated. (only on inhalation or exhalation) also, gas cramping can cause similar pain, however it is usually only momentary. The quality of heart-related pain tends to be a dull aching and squeezing type of feeling.

• bubba

it is extremly rare for a female to have a heart attack while they are of child baring age , while males start to have artery blockages start building up from the age of 18, females usually dont start till they are in their late 40s , the pain you discribe does not sound like heart pain at all , it is most likely pericardial pain, lung pain , or muscular pain. I am guessing that your gran was about 80 when she had her sudden large heart attack , and since you didnt mention your mother i am guessing she is still alive there fore you are not at risk of having a heart attack at such a young age. take some paracetamol or aspirin and if the pain persists see a Doctor

• Lady11 months agoReport

Thank you. I wish you would have answered sooner, I would have picked yours as the best answer. Yes my mom is still alive. My grandmother was 74 when she died, but she had heart disease, diabetes and a whole bunch of other problems. She stopped caring about her health when she was in her late 50's.

• ?

Well, a heart attack wouldnt last 3 days, so it cant be that. Could be a stuck rib. Go into your local doctor for a checkup.

I get pains too alot and always freak out and sometimes it's anxiety for me or stress but I'd say If your scared to always get checked out cause u never know and ur life is nothing to play with