Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 10 months ago

Will the college expel me if my parents cut off my funding and I can’t pay tuition?

My parents would only agree to pay for my full tuition room board and books if I agreed to not be allowed to have a car on campus and to not venture on any off campus “adventures” even to explore the surrounding city.

They will monitor my use of their credit card for spending on rental cars or other “travel and transportation” or other non emergency non school costs including shopping for jewelry and purses.

They also monitor my social media for any posts related to venturing and stuff and say if they were to see photos of me at like Universal Studios, Busch Gardens or Disney World they will cut off my funding entirely.

My EFC is too high to qualify for financial aid and my parents refuse to co-sign loans.

Out of state tuition at UCF is really high in the 45k total cost of attendance per year and I would not even be able to come close to paying that working minimum wage.

Tuition is due mid semester and if my parents cut me off if I explore what will the college do to me if I can’t pay?

If they send a letter saying tuition is not paid and i just keep attending classes and such as usual will bouncers just come and drag me out of the classroom and put me in a van and drop me off at the train station?

Would I be referred to financial aid counseling for merit aid and scholarships and would they set me up for some non fafsa dependent merit scholarships?

What would actually happen if i broke parents rules and spent a few weekends going to theme parks and going to shows

• Stoo
    Favorite Answer

Time to have an adult conversation with your parents about what you can be expected to do and not do. But if they're paying the bills, they have 100% right to tell you what the money is for.

Anything outside of that they can not support - and if you contravene their rules, they can cut you off. They don't have any obligation to pay your bills anymore.

And if they don't pay tuition, you'll find yourself being kicked out pretty quickly. Room and board, they can both kick you out *and* pursue you for back charges, because a roof over your head and food on a plate is not free, and your consuming it means someone else could not.

Tuition, they'll just cancel any registration - if you show up to class, you won't be on the roster, your assignments will not be marked, and you will receive no credit. And if you don't withdraw by a certain date, they'll charge you back tuition as well.

So the responsible thing to do here is to negotiate *occasional* trips off campus. Tie it to being responsible in other parts of your schooling - if you get a certain GPA , you can go to Disney World.

Another option - which is riskier - is adopt a new social media persona that your parents don't know, and work a job to raise your own funds for these trips. This is at the least a white lie to your parents - and it can be caught if, say, there's a emergency and your parents are contacted by hospitals or law enforcement about something that's happened.

No, You will finish the semester you have paid for but They wont let you register for the next semester until you pay the tuition. B

• nancy

You would have to contact your school for information about their specific policies, but typically a school won't dismiss a student during the semester, but you won't be allowed to register for classes for the next semester. If you're living on campus, most schools will require that you leave for the holidays, and if your bill isn't paid, then they won't allow you to move back in when the new semester starts. No, they don't put you in a van and drop you off at the train station, but they do have security escort you off the campus if you don't agree to leave voluntarily. Where you go after that is up to you. And after you leave, if your bill isn't paid, most schools won't release your transcript, so going to all those classes would have been a waste of time. It's very unlikely that a school would give you merit aid because you lost parental support because you wanted to goof off. Although your parents rules may seem harsh, it's their nickle and they can set any restrictions they like. It seems rather foolish to risk losing out on a college education that can set you up for life just so you can go to a theme park. Think of it in terms of dollars. Four years at $45k per year is $180 thousand dollars. Would you pay $180,000 to spend a weekend at Disney World? Then why expect your parents to do that?

Don't they have fast for grants where you are? And yes if you can't pay your tuition don't throw you out of college. tell your parents it's your money if you want to waste it you go right ahead and waste it.

Yes. However the extreme conditions imposed by your parents sound like Modern Slavery, and that is supposed to be illegal.

• Lili

You will not be allowed to register for classes if your bills are not paid. This means that your name will not appear on any Registrar's class lists, and any grades you receive will not be recorded. Your transcript will never be released to you, even assuming that it has some recorded grades on it.

If room and board are not paid, you will be asked to leave, and your keys and IDs will be taken away.

You would not be eligible for financial aid, since it is based on family income. Unless you can establish an entirely independent financial status, until you are in your mid-20s, you cannot get aid if your parents' income is too high for it.

You'd be out of luck.

• KaleyK

That's how it works ... if you don't pay your tuition, the school will cut off your education. Simple as that.

• John10 months agoReport

That's not exactly how it works. They won't educate you, sure. But they can't expel you, since they can only expel a student who is actually enrolled and attending there.