Deri asked in PetsHorses · 4 months ago

What are those things you put behind cowboy boots?

Spurs, an extension of the leg, used properly can have a dead sided horse respond better, not abusive at all if used right. I used them, not sharp ones, ones like a thumb. My horse never had a wringing tail like some do when a person doesn't know what they are doing with them. You never even could see that I use it on my horse. Not for an amateur at all.

They are called spurs.They are bad to use.They are metal and when riding you jab the horse in the sides with them to speed them up.

Spurs.

Spurs should only be used by experienced riders with a steady leg who are aware of what they're doing with those spurs at all times and how to properly use them, but they are not inherently abusive. They are wonderful training aids when used correctly.

Yes, they can be abused in the wrong hands, but so can any piece of tack and equipment. It's about the person using them, not always the product itself (though I'll admit there are some poorly designed products out there that aren't good regardless of who is using them, but the vast majority of spurs aren't one of them).

They are spurs.

I think you’re talking about spurs.

Boot jack? Spurs? The side of a horse?

Spurs. And contrary to what PR said, it is VERY possible to abuse a horse with them. In fact, it happens far more often than he realizes. There are reasons why the FEI and the other international horse sport governing bodies all have rules against excessive spur usage, whether in or out of competition. Those rules are strictly enforced, but abuse still happens. Cowboys aren't the only ones who can abuse horses with spurs, either.

• PR

They are called spurs, and for a properly trained rider, they are simply an extension of the back of the boot.

Spurs can very discretely tell a horse which side to move, and in a way that cannot be detected in a show ring.

A well-trained horse takes cues from the reins, legs, feet/spurs, and shifting of body weight.

Spurs, like anything else in life can be misused, but not usually. Only in the old westerns, did the cowboys jab the horses in that manner, and for dramatics.

Spurs, a horrible (painful) way to get a horse to move by jabbing them in the horses sides.