Umar Rehman asked in SportsCycling · 10 months ago

What went wrong with my bicycle tire?

My front and rear bicycle tires were flat at 0 psi when I used the Oasser Air Compressor Electric Inflator Portable Hand Held Pump to refill them with air. I filled the front tire to 36 psi when it appeared that the tire was beginning to slide out of the metal rim before popping 30 seconds later. It appeared that the inner tube was stretching and it popped. The rear tire was perfectly fine to fill up which I did although at a lower number to 20 psi. The front tire is rated to inflate up to 40-65 psi while the rear tire is rated to inflate up to 50 psi. Also, the front tire is about 1 year old while the rear tire is 12 years old. Could it be that the front tire failed? Maybe it was not in the rim properly? Any recommendations for newer and better tires? How much longer until rear tire may need replacement?

• David

”Maybe it was not in the rim properly?”

Correct. Your type of rim (looks like a single-wall) and tire can be a fairly loose fit, and may need to be manually centered when inflated from zero pressure. There’s usually a line molded into the tire sidewall to help line up with the rim. Inflate just past of the tire taking shape, check that it’s evenly seated. Inflate some more and check again. Repeat until desired pressure is reached. If at any time you notice the line on the sidewall starting drifting WRT the rim, release air until the tire can be shifted around on the rim and start over.

Can’t recommend any tires since I don’t know what kind of riding you do, or how much you’re willing to pay.

Tire life is hugely dependent on how much you ride and storage conditions between rides. And how picky you are with tire performance. A tire that’s showing lumps or bulges has to be replaced. A tire that’s merely looking dry, with hairline cracks can still be used. Poorer grip and reliability.

Your quote, "Maybe it was not in the rim properly?" You just answered your own question. Any time you're pumping up a tire starting at zero psi - go slowly! Make sure it's seating on the rim properly. If something looks funny, let some air out - massage the tire all the way around to make sure the bead is seating on the rim - then continue.

It happens to a lot of people, including me recently when I got in a rush & didn't do it right the first time. Needless to say, I felt like a Jack @ss. If the 12 year old tire shows no signs of weather cracking around the bead, it might still be OK. Me personally? I wouldn't trust it anymore.

Obviously your front tire was not properly seated on the rim before you started to inflate it. Inflating any tire that has been left to go completely flat requires that you go gently until you ascertain whether the tire beads are properly seated into the rim. If the front tire appeared to be sliding out of the rim you should have immediately taken out the air that you pumped in. I doubt that the front tire failed, you just pumped it up too fast without checking if it was properly seated