Rachel asked in PetsFish · 4 months ago

How many fish in a 30 gallon tank?

I have a tank that is 22 inches long, 17 wide, and 23 high. I am only keeping 30 gallons in it at the moment. How many fish could I keep in there? Im wanting to have some guppies (No more than 6, if even), 2 mollies, a betta, and 2 aquatic frogs, along with a single goldfish. Would I be able to do that?

Also, something I forgot to add, is I already have 5 male guppies and a docile female betta. And the mollies will be female. And as for the goldfish, I don't really care what it will be, but if I could choose I would probably just go with male. Same thing for the frogs. I wasn't sure if gender mattered at all, but here's this just in case.

• Ocimom

Goldfish cannot be put in with tropical fish. You cannot keep a male and female Betta in the same tank. The guppies, mollies, and female Betta and the frogs are fine. I would recommend a group of 5 or 6 Cory catfish to help keep the tank clean.

You cant keep a goldfish with tropical fish. You can not determine the sex of a goldfish .

You cant add another betta.

But otherwise, it should be ok as long as it is filtering properly.

• Edwena

Buy a book first. The frogs will drown in an aquarium. The guppies will eat the fins off of the goldfish. The male guppies and beta will fight each other. In fact, this has to be a troll question. No one can be so consistently wrong without being deliberate.

• Edwena

That is true, but over an extended period of time, the guppies will attack a beta fish. The social order in the tank is not stable.

I agree that except for the goldfish, you are fine. Goldfish are completely different from tropical fish and should not be kept with them. They like a different water temperature for one thing, and they get big at which point they would harass the smaller fish and frogs. And BTW, how do you tell if a goldfish is male or female?

Except for the goldfish you're fine.

As many as it will hold, determine volume of fish in cubic cm and volume of tank, divide volume of tank by volume of fish and there you have it

It's a somewhat complex answer, as it depends on the kind and size of fish.

Try here for more info:

https://www.firsttankguide.net/capacity.php

• KaleyK

The rule of thumb is one fish for each gallon of water. Obviously the size of the fish matter as well as having compatible types of fish. If you're going to mix tetras with cichlids you're going to have a problem.

• Dukkie4 months agoReport

The " one inch of fish per one gallon water" guideline was debunked a few decades ago.