Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 12 months ago

What is harder: being an engineer or programmer?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

An engineer, as programming usually does not require the complex MATH.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Both can be hard or easy - depends on what sort of work you get in to and how much effort you want to put in to the craft.

From the quality of the software being pawned off on us, I'll say that programmers are lazier. It's hard to find programmers that write good code. The programmers who write good code have put in a lot of time and effort to become good at their craft, as much as any good engineer. Good programmers also understand hardware which is getting in the the engineering realm.

• 12 months ago

If you are trained and qualified to do the job then neither is hard. If you are over your head then both can be hard.

• 12 months ago

Engineering tends to be harder, because in order to become an P.E. in a particular field you have to not only get an education, but then also take the tests to get licensed - and then you have to complete a certain number of continuing education credits each year in order to stay current on applicable codes, new technology, etc.

An Engineer takes on a lot of liability when they put their seal on a project, and they can be pulled into court if it can be shown that they were negligent.

Not that programming is easy or anything - it presents its own challenges.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lv 7
    12 months ago

engineering is hard, but far more straightforward. you work with the physical and can see the results of what you do.

programming is hard AND deals with the abstract. you need to decide what the best way to do something is.

engineers have premade parts. programmers just have whatever code they write (or buy).

• 12 months ago

Ummm, that depends on how smart one is and the difficulty of the work being performed. Both may be easy and/or hard for different people.

Source(s): I have a programmer friend who says its easy as pie, but I don't think I'd be very good at it.
  • klypos
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

Depends on how your mind works. An engineer has to cope with tedious calculations. A programmer needs to use logic practically.

Both jobs need you to get things right first time - no second chances.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

they're probably both hard in their own way

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Engineer probably

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.