Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 10 months ago

My 125 pit bike clutch cable won’t lift up the clutch shaft which engages the clutch what do I do ( it’s a brand new clutch cable?

There's usually an adjustment at the handle - but if you've got it run all the way out and it still won't pull the clutch, then the cable is too long.

If it is close - you might be able to move the clutch handle assembly further out on the handlebar (assuming it isn't already as close to the grip as it can go) to make up the difference - otherwise you will need to buy a shorter cable, or modify this one to work.

Get someone that knows what they're doing to fit the new cable.

New cable? does it have a large nut on one end with a length of threaded tube that cable housing fits into? Little hint, most of those type replacement cables are shipped/shelved with adjusting nuts, lock nuts all the way in for most slop as help installing. many cables will have adjuster nuts/tubes both ends, simpler, cheaper designs for 'toys' will have one 'plain' end with knob for hand lever and main adjustment at operating end/mounting to tranny or engine end. Look at owner manual if you have one or get a 6 pack of beer for friendly mechanic on hot day- Root Beer for temperance wrenches- get notebook and take notes, a 10 mm and maybe 12 or 14 mm wrench might be all you need AFTER getting basic lesson from mentor.

It's: "Dis-Engage" the clutch.

It Engages the arm to it.

I'll bet you have too much free play. Adjust at both the clutch arm and at the hand lever, evenly, for about 1/8" slack at end of lever tip.

If still no go, take it off, lay it next to old one. See if it is too long or too short.. Return if way out,

I fixed a stretched hood release cable with a cable clamp. I wouldn't do this with something as important as a clutch, though.

The first thing you do is assume that you have installed it incorrectly.

Compare its length with the length of the original cable. Might be the wrong cable. Worst case you can buy custom length bowden cables. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=pstVXd6...

There are adjustment knobs at the handle-bar and the clutch lever. When installing the new cable totally loosen both top and bottom adjustment knobs, take about 3/4 of the slack out with the bottom first then fine tune the rest out with the top knobs, may take a few tries so be patient.

Or you bought the wrong cable.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
  • J J

I think you have it wrong, the cable is used to disengage the clutch. And I'd bet there is a adjustment on it.