Has global warming made 2019 into the worst year for allergies ever?

If a level 7 snowflake moves my question, please return it to the Global Warming category. Thank you!

Best Answer

It is expected that as the climate warms, spring will start earlier and fall will end later. One of the effects will be a longer allergy season.

......................

• Dirac

I'm not sure if there's any objective measure of such a thing, although for some allergens you could probably try. I think it would depend a lot on where you are.

Also living in Southern California like JimZ, I too had a really bad spring for allergies. Haven't had many problems since then, though. There is usually another peak when the Santa Anas start up--let's hope they just bring allergies and not fires. It hasn't really struck me as the worst year, though. The worst day I ever remember for allergies was when I was probably about 12 or 13, playing a round of golf with my brother. I would guess I sneezed 300 times during the round, my kleenex gave out completely. Every time I would bend over to hit a putt, my eyes would immediately fill with water and I couldn't see. It was the most miserable time I've ever had on a golf course.

I don't know about the worst year but the trend is definitely worrying. Over the past decade we've seen a 700% increase in hospitalization due to anaphylaxis.

Global warming has been suggested as a contributing factor simply because plants are flowering earlier and in some cases more often during the summer. But this is not the explanation for the massive rise in allergies.

The leading theories at the moment are:

1. The hygeine theory where we've become obsessed with cleanliness to the point that people's immune systems are not being exposed at an early age. There is quite a lot of evidence to support this, including comparisons between people living on farms and in cities.

2. Overuse of antibiotics, which alters the human microbiome and kills off bacteria useful in producing compounds that support our immune systems. An interesting statistic is that babies born by C-section are more likely to suffer allergies because babies born through the birth canal are exposed to a multitude of bacteria.

3. Obesity., diet and other 'lifestyle' factors.

4. Vitamin D deficiency. We spend a lot more time indoors, particularly children.

Global warming is only one factor, but almost certainly not the main reason for the change in allergy statistics!

• JimZ

It has been a pretty epic allergy year for me. I used to get weekly grass and dust mite injections so it is kind of hard to judge. My allergies used to be much worse but when you get those injections it does help quite a bit but that is just my anecdotal assessment. We had a really wet year this year in So Cal which is why we don't hear Dirac complaining about the Sierra Snowpack but it has made allergies bad and probably later on we will have a really epic fire season which the usual suspects will then blame on our CO2. They are far more predictable than our climate.

000000000000000000000000000

`Notice:

This question is currently* being controlled by a bot. That means that the question can't be moved from its current category. If it is moved to any other category, the bot automatically returns it to Abuse & Spam in about 2 minutes. You can see this for yourself with your Level 7 account.

Bot tagging questions is against Yahoo policy. The OP, himself, is unable to move his own question.

Bot tagging is done by paid trolls.

* Note that a question might or might not be bot tagged at any particular point. I've been exposing the paid trolls' bot tagging. Every time I point out a question being bot tagged--they take it off the bot. You can however, see the bot in action with many other troll questions here.

• Okay; here it again for those who don't know.

There are people paid to post on Yahoo Global Warming. They include Dirac, Elizabeth, Climate Realist, Sam, and Super Hans. There's also a bunch of other accounts, but belonging to the same person (prolly Hans). they include:

Gourry

Assolini

Edward Hitler (banned)

Talking Bollox (dormant or banned account)

Sting (banned)

Sitting Down (banned)

Richard Richard

Koshka

Cowboy

Jocelyn J

Etc, etc.

They're paid by the Open Society Foundations and probably contracting with DeSmog Blog from Vancouver BC. They do this crap on other sites. This is a fact. I'm not speculating because I've seen it.

The Open Society Foundation trolls move all questions opposed to "global warming" belief. They are violating policy by doing this, but they don't care. They also feed each other softball questions and give each other Best Answer. Basically, they use Yahoo as a free PR board.

They also delete answers opposed to their belief. They have deleted 35 of my answers so far. But I actually love the feedback because it tells me what threatens them.

If you don't believe it, then try an experiment. Compose a question opposed to global warming belief. The paid troll monitoring Yahoo Global Warming will move it to category Abuse & Spam in 2 minutes. If you insist on moving your question back, then the paid trolls "bot tag" it. That means whenever you move your own question, the bot automatically moves it back to Abuse & Spam.

These people have easy patterns to follow. It aint hard to figure out.

Try my experiment. What do you have to lose?

Probably not.

People go to hot dry climates to escape allergies. Global warming can cause lots of problems, but alergies aren't one of them.

• Don't believe it? Try it. Compose your own question against "global warming." Super Hans or one of his co-workers will move it instantly to category Abuse & Spam. You can't move it back because these trolls patrol Yahoo 24-7.

• Mike

Nope , just that 2 weeks of hay fever

• Horse3 months agoReport

I said it's a troll bot question. Go ahead and try to move your own question. It will revert back to global warming category in 2 minutes. Trolls also move questions to Abuse & Spam. Those questions can't be moved out.

No, all the helicopter parenting and lazy TV watching and picky food eating and over cleaning and whatever else has evolved more and more "people" into allergy prone things. Go outside and eat some dirt for god sakes