Should government mandate we all switch to electric cars immediately to save the planet so we don't have to move to Mars?

I'm scared guys! I don't think I'll like Mars.

Attachment image

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

These are always funny, deniers do love to demonstrate their ingnorence,

A) an electric motor is far more efficient than a fuel powered one, even if charged from a coal fired power station emissions are far less than using a fuel powered car, the emissions are around 30% those of the fuel powered car. If the power comes from hydro or wind or solar or nuclear the emissions are far lower.

As for living on Mars that’s simply not possible, the best current plans are to try and get a small group there in the next 10-20 years but they will still rely on supplies from Earth to survive, mass migration to Mars is way beyond our current technology.

• 3 months ago

There is not the infrastructute for everyone to have an electric car. It would massivly overload the supply grid. There is also the problem of disposing of the old batteries this has not been thought through

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Electric cars are a GREAT idea...but only if we clean up the grid first. An electric car charging up on electricity generated at a dirty, coal-fired plant sort of defeats the purpose.

Hybrid vehicles, better fuel efficiency, better infrastructure, and vastly improved mass transit are better options at this point.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

As long as the Government covered the cost regardless of where the funding came from,,

But Since electric cars cost just as much, personally I'd rather they gave me a house instead...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Hello mannhellobeoelo eleo.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It depends on what government you are talking about.

• 4 months ago

As you noted electric cars uses fossie fuels to charge, just like there is no such thing as free healthcare

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No, the electricity grid could not cope for one thing, and large trucks and vans may never be able to be made electric.

• antarcticice
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Interesting comment, given electric trucks already exist
      https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/13/heavy-duty-electric-trucks-arent-coming-theyre-already-here/

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Seems about liberal logic if you ask me. Electric cars still runs on the same grid that comes from big coal plants. So if every one jumps on board on electric cars, wouldn't that cause the grids to be overloaded.

• 4 months ago

the great green state of California is putting additional fees and taxes on electric vehicles and hybrids to make up for lost gas-tax revenue....

after years of defending tax breaks and subsides to billionaires like Elon Musk with cries of "so what, you hate clean air?" it's actually quite amusing for these "environmentalists" now being told by the state "you're costing us money that goes to repair infrastructure...so what, you hate safe roads?"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.