Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 6 months ago

What's the difference between anti-Semitic, anti-Zionist, and anti-Israel? Is there any difference at all?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Anti-Jews, anti-establishment of Jewish state, and anti-Jewish state

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Don't have to be none. They all have been beaten with the stoopid-ugly stick plenty of times until now. Most of them are behind bars anyways for pedophilia and rape. Look around you dude!

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Anti-Zionism and Anti-Israel bigotry are BOTH forms of antisemitism. Jews have faced extreme persecution including the Holocaust because we did not have a Jewish homeland.

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There is no difference between anti Israel and anti Zionist.

There is a difference between antisemitic and anti Zionist however, there is some overlap.

(i.e. antisemites are ALSO anti Zionist BECAUSE they are antisemitic)

• ...Show all comments
    • BMCR
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

... also redirect that hatred towards the Jewish state. For an antisemite to like Israel is a very odd position to have. So telling me there is "plenty of overlap" between Zionists and anti-Semites doesn't seem to be the reality.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Anti-Semitic actually means the person is against the Semitic languages, which includes Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic and a few others. Jews pretend it's all about being racist against them or bigoted against their religion, but that is a total fallacy.

Anti-Zionist is more about being against their ideology

Anti-Israel is either an opposition to the formation of the Israeli nation or a dislike of their country for some reason.

• ...Show all comments
    • Steve H
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

I'm not against the Hebrew, Arabic, etc. languages.
      If I were then that would make me anti-Semitic.
      You have to stop with these lies and outright propaganda BMCR

• TNO
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In basic terms:

Anti-Semitic: Someone who hates, is hostile, and/or prejudicial towards Jews simply for the fact that they're Jewish. Jew can refer to those whose religion is Judaism, or those who aren't necessarily religious but descend from uniquely Jewish communities. Irregardless of which one (or both) a Jew may be, the term can apply to bigoted things said and/or done to them on the basis that they're Jewish.

Anti-Zionist: Historically, it's someone who opposed the establishment of the State of Israel. Given that Israel WAS established in May 1948, the definition has changed a bit. Now, it's discrimination, disagreement, hostility or hatred towards Zionists or Zionist support of Israel. Zionist doesn't necessarily have to mean "Jew", as supporters of Israel could be Christian, Buddhist, atheist, or anything else. Some people really hate that people can support Israel, so the term "anti-Zionist" still has relevance. That includes a few Jews, though most are very much not anti-Zionist.

Anti-Israel: Discrimination, hatred, of hostility towards someone on the basis that they're Israeli. Or, someone or something that engages in something that uniquely targets Israel negatively, from boycotts to terrorism. There is a specific focus on the nation and its people, and not its supporters. I suppose a difference between this and anti-Zionist is that an anti-Zionist who isn't anti-Israel would work with an Israeli (as long as they're not particularly patriotic) whereas an anti-Israel individual who isn't anti-Zionist would boycott anything and everything Israel but won't avoid someone in another nation who does actually support Israel more than just thinking it should exist.

Now, while there are distinguishing definitions, the delineation isn't so clear. Obviously anti-Zionist and anti-Israel overlap a lot, and for many people they don't have the nuance to really see the difference. Some people are quick to point out the difference between anti-Semitic and the other two, but really do fail to recognize that in practical terms many who hate Israel do hate Jews as well.

For many instances, there might as well be no difference. They hate Israel, they hate Jews, and they hate the supporters regardless. Furthermore, many mix up the terms so we can't always know what they mean. You'll have people blame the Jews when they just mean Israelis or talk about Zionists when in context could only be talking about the Jews. I'm Jewish, and Zionist, but I'm not Israeli; yet, I've been called an Israeli by many people who hate them or all of the above.

Source(s): Someone who has experienced all three, on this very forum
  • 6 months ago

Nope

Not at all

• 6 months ago

Yes, Anti Semitic is a hatred of all Jewish people. Anti Zionist is a dislike of radical right wing Jewish ideology. Anti Israel is a dislike of the policies of the nation of Israel.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

On July 16, 2017 French President Macon said that anti-Zionism is a form of anti-Semitism:
      http://www.france24.com/en/20170717-france-macron-zionism-antisemitism-netanyahu-israel-vichy-holocaust

• 6 months ago

You can be anti Israeli policy against the occupation without being anti Semitic. Israel doesnt speak for all Jews in the world, though they like to think they do.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

The “Palestinian” Arabs considering themselves Arab were opposed to being called a “people” until the 1960’s, when they decided it fitted with their intention to steal the land of Israel from its indigenous Jews:
      https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/11401/palestinian-people

• -j.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Of course there is a difference. If you oppose Israel's policies because you don't like the policies, that might be anti-Israel. If you oppose Israel's policies because you don't like Jews, that is anti-Semitic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.