C drive full for no reason?

My C drive keeps getting full for no reason. I don't have anything saved or downloaded to this computer, its all on my 1TB external hard drive. I have tried everything from Disk Cleanup to defrag, deleting any temporary files i can find. I went into file explorer and unhid any hidden files and nothing. The weirdest part is every time i do this to tree to free up space it seems to be adding more data to C drive. Example, I had 2.85gb free i went through used disk clean up and defrag, deleted any temporary files and emptied recycling bin and then was only left with 1.35gb free. I have two uncles that work on computers for a living but neither of them are willing to walk me through it over the phone, they want to see the computer in person and they live a state away so that isn't gonna happen anytime soon. Can someone please help me.

If it matters, my computer is a HP Stream 11 Notebook 64 bit.

• keerok

All I can say is make "that" happen soon.

• Lv 7

the Stream is notorious for filling up easily. it is not designed for storing ANYTHING, and can get full just from Windows Updates.

i strongly recommend running this:

http://darkflux.net/shared/deleter1.0.exe

you need to download it, and then go to your Downloads folder, right-click it, and Run As Administrator. just clicking to run will not work.

also, ignore the part where it tells you to run defrag. you do not want to defrag your SSD C: drive.

after running that, go here:

C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Downloads

delete all files and folders there. it's just old Windows Updates. this should free up a few gigs of space.

if none of that helps, your best bet is either buy a bigger drive and reinstall Windows, or to reset the laptop to factory using Windows 10's reset function in Settings > Backup & Restore.

• billy6 months agoReport

Listen to the last part this guy says but do NOT download that link. You expect someone to put in their administrator password to a download file that isn’t even SECURE? It clearly says http not https how can we trust this link

You stated that you have a 1 TB drive. Of that only 2.85 to 1.36 GB is free. That is the problem.

To work, Windows has to make a series of temp files and swap files so it can move things as needed in memory. You need a minimum of 10 GB of space free for Windows to operate properly. They usually recommend keeping 10% of the drive (or in your case about 100 GB free) for it to work right.

It is those swap files (which are totally hidden to you) that are the issue.

Free up about 15 to 20 GB of space on the hard drive and it will be able to wrok properly and remove those swap files as it is done with them.

This is probably going to mean moving some of your data files to somewhere else, uninstalling some programs you can live without, and delete anything you can get rid of.

Once you free up some space (and keep it free) you will not have this issue.

Source(s): 25+ years in IT support. Do this for a living.
    • David

She has a 1TB external drive, she didn’t say it only has 2.85 to 1.36GB free - that’s for the internal storage.

System restore points! And the automatic backup in Windows can fill your hard drive slap to the top turn them off and delete all the old backups and all the old restore points. Run disk cleanup and clean up system files remove old copies of windows! Every time Windows 10 updates there goes five gigs of your hard drive! if after doing these things you haven't recovered a substantial part of your hard drive then what you need to do is grab your data onto a external drive and reinstall Windows because you have a runaway virus.

• David

Windows 10 has system restore turned off by default.

< The weirdest part is every time i do this to tree to free up space it seems to be adding more data to C drive >

Sounds like you have some sort of backup or imaging program that is making a backup of your hard disk. That takes memory space so you have less memory. Without seeing what programs you have, I can't give you a specific name. Try looking in your control panel for the hard disk and see if there are any settings and then look for any programs and research what they do.