Advice for dealing with an employee who doesn’t like our parking arrangement. (cont. in details)?

There are 2 spots that I have decided as manager that are priority for the director and I regardless of when we get there. We work 8 hour days and shouldn’t have to pay for parking and it is my right as manager to decide who parks in the designated spots. All I ask is that spots are available upon our arrival. Employee is completely beside herself. Advice?

Just tell her the rules and if she doesn't like it - she can look for another job.

I have never worked at a place where employees had to pay for parking. Is this outside the US? It is common to provide passes for employees and/or residents of homes if the buildings are located in large cities. Is this a parking garage? It sounds like a messed up situation.

• GEEGEE

Assuming you actually have the right to make this decision, tough luck to her. I assume her complaint might be based on costs associated with nearby parking availability? If that's the case see if you can get her a parking allowance to offset the cost.

Reserving spaces in the employee parking lot for senior employees is the norm. "Senior" employees - whether defined as managerial & above, or executive, or whatever - is defined by the designated officer/manager for that company. Your subordinate stays out of your reserved space (mark it!) or suffers the consequences. Tell your subordinate parking spaces for senior employees are reserved & park in non-reserved space or else.

• DEBS

You've just increased her cost of working there and essentially reduced her take home pay. I'd be upset as well. Consider compensating her for what essentially turns into a pay cut. No, you don't have to, but it looks pretty bad for a manager with presumably more pay to say, "I get free parking and you have to go pay" when it wasn't like that before.

If the spots are on private property owned or leased by the business, you have every right to dictate who parks where (disabled spots aside). If the premises is shared by multiple businesses or the spots are somewhere public, don't really have any right or control.

However, if these are the two spots behind your shop and every needs to park publically, yeah, you have every right to mandate who gets those two spots...

• Judy

she needs to grow up and get over it. Tell her this is how it's going to be.

Gently inform her that this business is not a democracy, it is a benign dictatorship, the parking spaces are company-owned and private, and the decision has been made. Parking there will be considered insubordination.

What do you want advice on? You've given yourself a perk that pissed someone off because you think you're a more important employee than everyone else. It is what it is.

By the way, I have 43 employees and the business doesn't directly pay for parking for any of them including me. We pay for reserved parking for our CUSTOMERS. All of our employees - including me - can pay for parking in the garage or we can park on the street and walk a couple blocks or we can take the bus or ride a bike or....

Yes as manager I do get perks, but they are private between the business owner and myself, not rubbed in the face of the staff. If I want my boss to pay for my parking, I negotiate that into my salary which is information the rest of the staff doesn't have access to.

"it is my right as manager to decide who parks in the designated spots" It's also the owner's or Director's right to over-ride your decision or fire you if your management style creates a morale or high-turnover problem.

My advice? Learn to be more discreet and don't over-estimate your importance.

No one here knows if this employee who is "beside herself" is generally a drama queen or if there is an underlying problem with your leadership and she has finally blown her gasket. You gave zero information about what "absolutely beside herself" means in specific terms so no one here can really tell you how to handle it. I'd really need to know more about the dynamics of what's going on in the big picture. Sometimes tantrums like this are just unreasonable people who need to go and sometimes they are symptoms of a bigger underlying problem.

P.S. There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with you and the Director having reserved parking spots, but there were other more graceful ways to make that happen other than you bestowing that very visible perk on your own self.

Source(s): Twenty-seven years of successfully managing a business.
    • emerald9 months agoReport

Lol no I’m the manager ! I just posted both perspectives to get different opinions. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t being unfait

If you don't like our freedom to park anywhere, you can always go back to europe!