Are utility companies obliged to let you know of new deals?

Have been with my broadband company for years (because we live rural we can only have satellite broadband). However I have just realised that for several months now, they have had a vastly better deal (almost half the monthly fee £39.99 instead of £82.99 for faster speeds). Should they have informed me of this or are they under any obligation to do so?

Thanks

Mhairi

• Judy

no...........................................

• Tavy

No, and those deals are for new customers However phone them and tell them you want a better deal or are cancelling your contract.

I got a reduction from BT when I did this.

No, its not their job to inform you of a better deal. Going forward, check at least once a year, call and threaten to cancel your subscription. They will offer you the best current deal and hope you forget next year...

the deals are for new clients, why would they lower your price please tell me, are they stupid or smth. they also will not make a deal with u if u close yours membership and would want to open a new one immediately.

• Eva

The better deal is probably an introductory deal for new customers. Sometimes you can get your rate lowered if you call and complain about the difference.

NO, and those deals are for new subscribers.

They are under no obligation to automatically give you the 'teaser' rates they charge new customers to come on board. These rates are generally good for the first year and after that, they start to go up. You can always try to negotiate a lower price. You can threaten to drop the service if you don't get a better deal than what you have. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The companies know how to work it. They know people will quit, wait a month and sign up as a 'new customer' at the lower rate. They know who you are. To discourage this, they charge large 'connection' fees to those who want to return.

They are under no obligation to inform you of a better deal. That is why you have to be proactive with these matters.

In my case, once a year, I call my cell provider and ask them for a better deal. Every year for the past 10 years, I have either received a better price or a better deal.

Same time, I call my internet provider. a few months ago, they called me and offered twice the speed at 60% of what I was paying. After a short discussion, they reduced the price to 50%.

Call them.