Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 11 months ago

how did parents punish their kids in the 1950s?

there were no electronics to take away like today. The only other way to punish I can think of is smacking their kids but after a bunch of times, it becomes less effective as the kid gets used to it

Well, just like parents are not all the same today, parents in the 1950s could differ from each other and had different parenting styles. Corporal punishment was certainly more accepted then than it is now, but again, I'm sure parents differed and not all of them necessarily believed in it, or used it frequently. And even though kids didn't have electronics and gadgets back then, they still had privileges like toys, record players, TV, playtime outside/with friends that could be restricted. My mother was a kid in the 60s (so close enough to the 50s I guess). She was spanked occasionally, but not super often. And she never had anything like a belt or switch used on her like some of her peers did...usually just a hand, or sometimes a flyswatter for more serious stuff. But a lot of times she and her siblings were put on "restriction" from playing outside, going to friends' houses, watching TV, etc. And sometimes they had to "stand in the corner"...it just wasn't called "time out" then.

Possibly by taking television away

• GEEGEE

No electronics like there is today but there was still tv, radio, record players, etc.... that could be restricted. Being grounded. With holding allowance money or anything the kid holds dear.

• helene

They had PHONES in the 1950s, and kids used them a lot. But there was usually one per house. Imagine the embarassment of your mother answering the phone "Susie can take your call this week, she's grounded."

I 've also heard of kids being hit on the legs with switches. And their parents made them cut their own switch first.

Kids still had toys even if it wasn't electronics. It would still be possible to take away something they enjoyed.

Spanking was a very common punishment because "spare the rod and spoil the child" is a Bible quote that many believed in. Not all kids who received spankings as kids become "messed up" adults.

I am 12 years younger than my siblings. My siblings were all born in the 1950's and I was born in the 1960's.. They told me a story of one time a couple years before I was born that Mom had told them to put their toys away but they didn't do it. So, that afternoon as they was getting off the school bus, our mother was in their bedroom throwing their toys out the window.

• edward

Back then going without food was pretty bad. People had 3 meals a day and women didn’t work. Or at least my grandmother didn’t. She said that punishment was like bed without supper. Apparently it was a bad punishment

• y

There was a hell of lot more physical punishment that you are right. Has since been proved to have no long range benefit as far as behavioral changes. But they/we did not know/understand that back then. You see hints of it in the 60's and 70's TV shows. Things like leave it to beaver, Partridge family, Brady bunch, my three sons, extra...

They could not watch TV or go to movies. They might not be allowed to listen to rock and roll music.

They would be sent to their room and not allowed out to play or have pocket money withdrawn for a week.

In severe cases they would get a smack around the legs, but you need to remember that kids were better behaved in the 1950s right up to the mid 90s.

Some had bicycles and would not be allowed to ride them or visit friends.

I assure you, if your parent hits you hard enough, or with the right object, you don't get used to it.