jasmin asked in PetsBirds · 11 months ago

How to train my parrot?

I have a cute little parrot, his age was told 5 months but i doubt it actually is that. He looks older. Anyways, I've tried everything to tame him. From sitting at a distance to being all up on him and NOTHING.. i mean N O T H I N G HAS WORKED! He's still just as scared of me. He does stare at me when i sit in front of him, without freaking out but thats about it. He's scared because his previous owner was clearly rough with him as a baby. I've had him for one and a half month now and its heart breaking to see how scared of me he is. I really desperately need help :(

start talking .........

i hear so many people wanting to train their bird to do tricks or speak. Just be thankful for your cuddly friend and give them lots of love and be satisfied with that. If show an aptitude for anything above and beyond that GREAT. If not ..... GREAT AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some parrots are just not meant to be tamed. Keep trying, but don't be disappointed in your bird if you can't do it.

There's a film called How to Train your Dragon. Now I know dragons and parrots are quite dissimilar. However, you might pick up some useful tips that crossover between the species.

• Anna E

what type of parrot. Some of the small breeds are less social than the larger birds. I have had sun conures but both came from a pet shop where the staff worked with them. If your little guy was mistreated, he may always be kind of stand offish. Try using pieces of fruit or something he likes and feed it to him by hand. You might want to take him to an avian vet to make sure he does not have any health issues and they may be able to give you some advice.

• Steve

Pine for the fjords.