Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 4 months ago

Windows 7 still receiving updates?

I'm running windows 7 on my pc and every week or so I'm getting an update. Not long after windows 10 was launched I heard Microsoft was dropping support for 7, and that no future updates will be released.

So what is happening? If they don't release any updates then how am I still getting them?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Support is due to stop at the end of the year.

Windows 7 will still continue to work exactly as it already does but, eventually, other programs will be updated to make best use of later operating systems and may become incompatible with Windows 7.

I am still running Windows XP on a couple of machines but, because of the evolution of the other software I rely on, they are becoming ever less usable.

Windows 10 is not horrible once you switch off much of the data sharing and other invasive features. It is faster than Windows 7 to boot up and shut down. I still prefer XP as it gives me the control and privacy I want but Windows 10 is not too bad.

• 4 months ago

Just read a little bit Windows 7 is no longer receiving any updates but Windows 7.1 is still receiving them for just a little bit longer

• TomB
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Here is why:

Support for Windows 7 is ending

After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/wind...

• 4 months ago

They still make security updates for it. What you probably heard was either about the end of non-security bug fixes, or about not updating Windows 7 to properly support newer processors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

/

Still Using Windows 7? Microsoft's Next Update Is Critical

If you want to continue receiving Windows updates, then the next Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 update is critical as it adds support for SHA-2 encryption. Without it, future updates can't be downloaded.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Support for W7 ends in January 2020. Until then updates will roll out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.