Conversation with driving instructor?

Whenever I drive during my lessons with my instructor we don't talk a lot.He is very talkative, I know that since my very first lesson but I'm the quiet one so he probably realised that and stopped talking much.Now we only talk when it's really necessary for example changing lanes,directions etc.I only... show more Whenever I drive during my lessons with my instructor we don't talk a lot.He is very talkative, I know that since my very first lesson but I'm the quiet one so he probably realised that and stopped talking much.Now we only talk when it's really necessary for example changing lanes,directions etc.I only talk to him when im unsure about something and need advice other than that I try to focus on the road completely resulting in me being silent.I don't want him to think that I'm being rude or awkward I just can't chat and drive.Mind you he is 20+ years older than me so we really don't have anything in common to talk about.
Is my behavior alright or should I start being more talkative? I don't know, I don't want him to think I'm stupid or rude.