Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 11 months ago

Conversation with driving instructor?

Whenever I drive during my lessons with my instructor we don't talk a lot.He is very talkative, I know that since my very first lesson but I'm the quiet one so he probably realised that and stopped talking much.Now we only talk when it's really necessary for example changing lanes,directions etc.I only talk to him when im unsure about something and need advice other than that I try to focus on the road completely resulting in me being silent.I don't want him to think that I'm being rude or awkward I just can't chat and drive.Mind you he is 20+ years older than me so we really don't have anything in common to talk about.

Is my behavior alright or should I start being more talkative? I don't know, I don't want him to think I'm stupid or rude.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You are right to NOT talk and to concentrate on your driving. It is not rude. It is your DUTY as a driver. Your driver instructor understands this and will not be offended. Often they start off chatty to help put us at ease.

Even after you've passed your test, when you are driving YOU are in charge of what happens in your car. You have the right to be silent so you can concentrate and you have the right ask others not to distract you.

Any trained road user will understand when you need to concentrate and will not be offended or think you are stupid. Quite the opposite.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

Concentrate on your driving.

He is a professional and is used to different personalities. Don't worry.

• 11 months ago

He doesn't expect you to talk. He expects you to listen.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

He's a driving instructor, his job is teching you to drive, not engage you with a constant stream of witty banter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Your driving instructor is not there to chat with you, or to keep you entertained. He is there to teach you how to drive. If you don't NEED instructions, then you don't NEED the distraction of him talking while you drive.

• 11 months ago

Perfectly normal, you should be concentrating on your driving anyway.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.