Stepping down as maid of honor? Has anyone else had to do this before?

So a long term friend that I've had asked me to be her maid of honor. We were closer when we were kids, and I initially agreed and told her that I could. But she did not inform me of her expectations beforehand, and I didn't think to ask her about what was involved. She expected all of the bridesmaids and I... show more So a long term friend that I've had asked me to be her maid of honor. We were closer when we were kids, and I initially agreed and told her that I could. But she did not inform me of her expectations beforehand, and I didn't think to ask her about what was involved. She expected all of the bridesmaids and I to pay for our dresses. She also sent a long, entitled-sounding text message, where it was clear she was expecting me to arrange a bachelorette party, and partake in more of the wedding planning than I had expected. Mind you, the bride is in a different financial situation than the bridesmaids and I. She is settled in a financially secure job.

The bridesmaids and I are college students, some working and some not---clearly not in the situation where we have extra money to shell-out. I felt as if the cost demands and expectations were unfair, especially considering that she was raised in a struggling low middle-class family who was always on a budget. I thought it was disappointing and a bit ironic that she wouldn't be as understanding of our financial standing. When my sisters got married, my parents covered the cost of just about everything.

Has anyone else stepped down as maid of honor or best man before? Is it odd to step down for financial reasons? I personally felt disrespected and as if I was being taken advantage of in the situation. The bride is the type of person who would ask copious favors of others in the past, and do very little for others in return.