Winnie asked in SportsRunning · 6 months ago

Does jogging help my mile time?

I want to be able to run a 8:30 min mile in 2 months and currently I am jogging 30-40 mins everyday. Does this help or do I have to do sprints. My mile time is 10-11 min and I am a 13 year old female.

Favorite Answer

I run cross country and from my own experience I would say that sprints help a lot. Running 30-40 minutes everyday is really good, but sprints and other forms of cardio are what will help you increase your pace.

Maybe try following a routine like this:

- 30-40 minute jog three days a week

- 2 days of strength or resistance training

- Try to do 1 day of sprints in intervals

- Take a break from running on the last day, but stay active. (Ride a bike, swim, yoga, etc)

- Make sure you stretch your legs after you run so you don't get injured

This is just a suggestion, but I highly recommend it!

I hope this helpful. Good luck! :)

• .

If you want to increase your speed, doing speed work is better than just running at a steady pace (especially slow running, which is what jogging is). You can do a little research online on how to train to increase your running speed, and all the plans will include more than just steady state slow or average (for you) pace running).

If you do enough jogging, it will help your mile time. But, progress will be slow. It's not likely jogging, by itself, will improve your mile time by 1.5 to 2.5 minutes in 2 months.

To improve your mile time, you want to do some workouts that have parts where you run faster than your mile pace. A common workout for this is intervals. You might, for example, warm up, and then alternate 200 meter sprints with walking rest periods. Each week, you would increase the number of intervals.

You can do a web search for "mile training plan."

• Jogger2425

If you are on a track or cross country team, or want to join the team, you should ask your coach for workout schedule and advice.

Well if you're physically active, I suppose it will.

Yes yes yes yes yes