Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 4 months ago

Do you think it would be possible for my 16’2 horse to run barrels its worrying me that hes to tall.?

As long as its not abusive go for it :)

• Ocimom

Its more about the body and legs of the horse, not always the height.

Depends where his height is, all body or legs. I’ve seen 17hh and one 18hh warmblood run barrels without injury but they had excellent flexattion and were very sound long legged, short body, deep chest. Build had quite a bit to do barrels because of the tight turns, sudden starts and sliding stops.

Sounds funny burst they had a half thoroughbred half Belgian that did quite well in barrels for senior riders, nothing to make record books but scores at 18 and 18.5 keeping up with many of the smaller horses (the riders were 70 and up)

Ask the vet what they think about the horses build and the Ferrier about the feet and the legs (kind of second opinion).

Are you going to be riding this horse in a circuit or go fair chasing for competition or just doing ranch fun shows or teaching barrel Racing to younger people

As a learning horse if he’s built for it and enjoys it then you have a great schooling horse, if he shows great aptitude and enjoys it then go for it. While he’s learning though and if he keeps clipping his legs, stumbling, resists the tired etc then don’t force him.

So if he’s built well and sound I don’t see why you couldn’t try him in barrels. Some of the petite smaller horses need to do more strides and even in turns they don’t get to turn as gracefully as a longer stride horse, more strides in a run can also mean more time for it.

• mal4 months agoReport

Hes tall with a long body but fast and its just for fun i dont want to be the best of the best just get out there and laugh and have fun

• Snezzy

Perhaps you need to own more horses. I have several. Some of them are more suited to one task than to another.

• Snezzy

Good, sell some buy some more. That's the way!

• BOBBER

If he has the heart for it, That's a big plus. Take it easy at first until you both get comfortable doing it, What do you have to loose.

• mal4 months agoReport

Aright it worries me bc he’s nervous to run in a small arena but loves to run in the fields

I would say at least try and see. The horse might be too tall but i am not sure

Wasn't asking for a english teacher.