Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 6 months ago

Can you mix computer RAM sizes of the same make and MHz. I have 3x 4gb and just purchased a single 8gb?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Go to Crucial.com, have it scan your computer, it will tell you what it needs. You can then, go to a RAM website and get the correct RAM!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

The answer will depend on your computer. Since you had an odd number of RAM chips, the question is whether it reported 8 GB or 12 GB from the System Information page. If it reported 12 GB then you can (theoretically) use mismatched chips because it wasn't trying to interleave. If it reported only 8 GB then it was interleaving and you cannot do a mix-and-match scenario.

You should be able to go online to find your manufacturer's web site and search there for an owner's manual specific to your model of system if you don't already have a copy of one. The "Maintenance" section of that manual will tell you what you can do. They might also tell you how to turn off interleaving so that you can use a mixed-size bunch of chips.

• 6 months ago

Perhaps not. In older motherboards, there is a need to match them in pairs for dual channel operation.

• Norm F
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, if your motherboard RAM slots support 8GB RAM cards.

Give us your P.C make and model, or Motherboard and you will get an accurate answer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • GTB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Determine your motherboard and then go to the motherboard site, look up that motherboard, and check out what it says there

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It will work yes but for best performance it's always best to put ram in in the exact same size and brand and speed

• Me2
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

"it's always best to put ram in in the exact same size and brand and speed"  That's a myth and, even under the best possible conditions, running multi-channel RAM with identical components gives a negligible improvement in performance.

• 6 months ago

If I were you, I'd try to trade the 3 sticks for another 8 GB.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.