Why are tattoo artists so expensive?

I feel like in reality it should be $30 an hour not $100+ - I understand quality but why are they all this way? Is there any where with good artists that charge cheaper?

Favorite Answer

Cost factors;

- shop (similar to hair stylists they would have a booth fee equivalent)

- needles (some needles can be $30 each and they will often use 5 or 7 each just for black, which means more for colour)

- ink (those little things of ink are a fair bit)

- time (even small tattoos take over an hour in time, and I am including design, placing and general stuff specific to the person)

- experience (similar to many industries, experience equates to price)

- demand (the more people that want to be tattooed, the higher the price can be)

- Insurance (most work places require insurance of some description to be paid)

- profit margin (the artist would like to come about ahead)

- other costs I may not have considered

• LM440

Initially, you may find the cost to be excessive. However tattoo artists are in a business. Most do not own the shop and have to pay rent for their space. There is training and equipment to purchase. Some areas require licensing and insurance. All of these expenses add up.

If you do a comparison that is about the same amount you pay someone to repair an appliance in your home.

Because people that want tattoos will pay a lot of money for a good artist.

The longer they do it, the more expensive they are. But also depends on what style they do - coverups etc are more expensive. What ink and machines they use. And things like the shops rent can factor in. In most cases it's also self employed. Equipment is expensive.

My artist though charges £60ph (UK pounds) and he has been tattooing for 15 years. States he could charge so much more but like your point, says why bother? He is booked out months in advance.

• Stasia

Technology and creativity, including time spent

Because they devote and waste all their time into making an ugly design on your skin look perfect. Waste of money and waste of time and also unable to be removed once on your skin. Don't get one.

You can find a cheap one in a dark alley.

Because they want you to save up and have the time to think about the commitment. Of course this means the upper class have less to think about but hey jobs come easier to them too

I know one who charges $ 400 an hour, and WORTH EVERY PENNY !!!

styles they use............