Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 6 months ago

Help compressing images?

I took some photos on my digital camera and wanted to upload them, but when I tried to, the storage amount was way too much. One photo was about 9,700,000 KB large so I can t send them anywhere. Please help!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

The GIMP allows one to open a photo, choose to export/save/etc. in a format that uses compression (like .jpg) and to choose the level of compression.

https://www.gimp.org/

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Somewhere in Photoshop you can save just

The top layer without the edits and the file will

Be small enough to upload ok.

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Photography school

• Frank
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Emailing images can be problematic, as you're now experiencing. The problem is that a lot of email providers will limit the total amount of data that can be attached to an email. In other words, if your ISP limits you to, say, 10MB of attached data and you've got five 9MB files, you'll have to send them one at a time. Or, you'll have to open the original file and save them as a JPEG with a higher level of compression. Or you could also just lower the resolution of the file from, say, 18MP to only 2.1MP.

You don't mention the purpose of the file(s). Are they to be used simply for viewing on a monitor or a smartphone? If so, then you only need 2.1MP for full-HD resolution. Why send someone a 24MP file if they're aren't going to print it out? If the image is going to be used for prints, then you'll need to send a file with the appropriate resolution.

So if sending them one at a time doesn't work, for whatever reason, you could simply create a dropbox or google drive account. Then upload the full-resolution images to the cloud and send the person a link to that drive which will allow them to download the images regardless of their size.

• 6 months ago

As has been said, you will need to use a program that is capable of changing digital file sizes. Some very basic programs will often have a setting called something like "Share" or "Email" which will downsize the photos for you. Just be SURE you DO NOT overwrite your original digital files with a downsized version. Be sure your smaller size is a COPY.

If you have a more robust photo program such as Photoshop, you can specify exact sizing for the best results. A very good rule of thumb for photo sizing for any online usage is this:

Maximum dimension on the longest side: 1000 pixels

Resample box: CHECKED

Resize method: Bicubic Sharper

Resolution: 96 PPI

Quality: 7

The above specs will produce excellent online photos at a manageable file size.

Again, be sure and never overwrite your original files.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Resize photos to 1024px on the longest side. That should be enough for anyone to appreciate them fully while keeping file size down.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Transfer the photo to your computer display on the screen and then take a screenshot of it. And save the screenshot. That may help you

• qrk
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Where do you want to upload them to? A photo sharing site like Flickr, a social media site like Facebook, or Email? Most photo sharing sites will accept a 9 or 10MB image file. Social media and email, you're better off reducing the pixel dimensions of the image. If you knock the pixel dimensions where the longest edge has around 1000 pixels, the image size will generally be in the 500kB to 1MB range. I normally reduce the longest edge to 1600 pixels for photo sharing sites, 800 pixels for documents.

There are many programs out there that can do a size reduction. XnView, nconvert (the command line engine behind XnView), IrfanView, JPEGView (my favorite), GIMP, ...

These are free programs

If you have Photoshop and/or LightRoom, these programs can change pixel dimensions of your image easily.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.