How to stop harmful sensory stimulation?

My son has high functioning autism, and he stims a lot, but sometimes he will hurt himself. He bites his fingers and pulls his hair.

I try to make him stop, but he gets mad at me and runs away from me.

I need tips

I'm not sure if you've looked into ABA (applied behavioral analysis) and/or discrete trial teaching, for instance, pertaining to those with autism. If not, how about considering those kinds of therapies or interventions.

Someone mentioned occupational therapy (OT) as well. Perhaps there is also a local sensory integration (SI) therapist, which is typically an OTR (occupational therapist, registered). For OT, PT or speech, a doctor's prescription may be necessary.

This website should have more general info re: ABA therapy and other related behavior modification therapies (including for those who are licensed in the field):

https://www.bacb.com/about/

You need to work on not letting him get stressed to the level of self-harm. Trying to stop a problem after it starts is too late. When you let his stress reach the boiling point you're going to have to rely on distractions, bribes, or a melt-down room.

If he has a favorite thing (music with headphones, favorite toy or blanket, book, or whatever) make sure to offer it as a first resort, then walk away and let the meltdown pass without your interference. Jabbering at him or trying to hold him down is just going to add to the stress.

I thought this type likes quiet(a quiet room)!Give him pine apple too:Next believing of the miracle is impossible!

work with an OT to teach safer alternatives.

he needs to be rewarded for using safer alternatives, not physically stopped in the moment.

will he tolerate a short hair cut so he can't pull?

maybe a special bite mitt would let him get the sensory input without actually hurting himself.

he need to try to find why he is agitated, those behaviors usually aren't just sensory....

Order one of those chewy pendants online, or perhaps another form of chewing stim toy. For the hair issue, there are plenty of other stim toys to choose from, depending on the reason and way he pulls his hair.

Good luck!

Try physical therapy