Diploma Difference, worthless?

I am one year from graduating, and I've been told I am capable of graduating with an Advanced Diploma; a diploma said to be a little lower than a Bachelor's Degree. I promised my grandmother I would be the first in our family to graduate with an Advanced Diploma. Now that I am in the path to finally... show more I am one year from graduating, and I've been told I am capable of graduating with an Advanced Diploma; a diploma said to be a little lower than a Bachelor's Degree.

I promised my grandmother I would be the first in our family to graduate with an Advanced Diploma. Now that I am in the path to finally achieving it, I am pushing myself in school. I got very excited when I was told I would be graduating with an Advanced, that I raced home to tell my family, but I was immediately shot down.

My uncle, whom I live it, called the entire thing, and I quote, "That's a load of Bull Sh*t. You don't need that worthless thing to be successful, it's just a waste of time. I'm not downing the fact you'll get it, but you're chasing a path of wasted time."

My uncle attends George Mason University, and has a Bachelor's Degree and soon a Doctrine's. I don't want to argue, but I'm afraid to speak up for myself. I'm afraid that he'll make me feel useless and I'd break my promise.

Is this Advanced Diploma really all that worthless? What do I do?