Yankees2017 asked in SportsBaseball · 11 months ago

Do you think umpires are purposely screwing up ball and strike calls to bait players and managers into an ejection?

For example, there are 2 outs, the bases are loaded, and the count is full in a crucial point of the game for the home team. The batter takes the pitch, which is way outside, but the umpire calls a strike. And then, justifiably, the batter and manager angrily react, knowing that the pitch in the same location for the other team was correctly called a ball earlier in the game! So the umpire throws them out and they get their moneys worth up in his face!!! What’s MLB going to do about this? It’s been happening much much more frequently than ever before in recent years!!!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

no. umps make mistakes. the team had the earlier innings to make runs.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

No and no. Umps are going to screw up. Players and managers must not let their emotions get to them. When they do, they get their own selves tossed.

• 11 months ago

I don't think they mess up calls to get players or managers ejected, but I think a player's attitude in a previous at bat can influence an umpire's calls. Also, if a pitcher is confrontational or has an attitude, he may not get as many strikes called in his favor. Once in awhile, I've noticed that an umpire may be more lenient towards one team than the other. That may be due to the manager...or it just may be he subconsciously prefers that team or dislikes the other one. Who knows? The umps are human.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

A few of them might do that, but many of them will not do that.

• Yankees201711 months agoReport

Like Joe West, ANGEL HERNANDEZ, and CB Bucknor

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

That sounds pretty far fetched but I suppose it is at least possible. Humans are a weird bunch of lunatics.

• 11 months ago

Dude, are you serious? Umpires make bad calls because they are human beings and thus not perfect.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.