My boss asked if I am interested in another position they are filling, a promotion, and would not be working under this boss. Your thoughts?

Are you serious? A different position, a promotion and you're on here asking this question???

• mom

you should ask if you will be getting more money and what the hours will be

I'd wonder whether it REALLY was a "promotion" of any kind, (different job---same PAY) --or he's just trying to get rid of me.

If you get a raise , or a corner office or something, ...then what's the issue? Take it.

And then in a couple months they'll move you to fries!

• Murzy

He thinks enough of you to recommend you for the position.

My thoughts are that you're dumb as a box of rocks if you expect anyone here to have any thoughts when you've given absolutely zero information.

No one here has a clue if you like your current boss, know anything about the new boss, what the new job is, whether you want it, whether you would be suited to it, whether the extra responsibility or schedule/location change is worth what they are offering.

We are not clairvoyant.

• Judy

Find out what the position is, and decide if you're interested.

Does your boss like you and respect you?

Is he known for promoting his reports?

Is he a good person?

or

Does he hate you and want to see the back of you soonest?

Is the position a real position a good position? Whats the new boss like.

Consider the position on its merits and if good go for it.

I guess it would depend on how you feel about your current boss and position, whether the new position is in line with what you want to do - and especially if the new position/promotion is going to compensate you enough for the additional responsibilities that you will be expected to take on.

I've known a number of people with good jobs to jump at the chance of a 'promotion' only to find themselves stressed and overworked - and not getting paid enough to make it worthwhile as their health, family life, etc. can suffer immensely.

• Lili

Well, normally a promotion is a good thing, but you're not giving us enough information for us to comment intelligently. Are you saying you don't want to stop working under your current boss? What do you know about the person you WOULD be working under? Are there reasons you are hesitant to put your name in for this job?

You really need to be more forthcoming.