Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 10 months ago

Can I feed my anoles outside bugs?

I always buy my anoles crickets but I was curious if I can feed them wild bugs as well. I don't spray any weed killer or anything at all out there. And also I'm assuming they would still have to be about the size of their mouth? Thanks :)

You can, if they will eat the bugs.  Crickets are very nutritious though.

Pesticides are a risk. If you know they don't contain pesticides and they don't contain any natural poisons, then poison is not a risk. However, that doesn't make them safe. They can and likely will contain parasites and diseases, which could infect your anole and possibly kill it or just make it generally uncomfortable. Please just buy your own bugs or breed your own! :)

• Ryan

Yes. As long as the area is not contaminated. Also keep in mind what types of bugs contain natural poisons.

You could, however if you have others nearby they may spray or use chemicals on their properties that insects might travel through before reaching your property.

Also be sure to know what local insects are toxic, such as fireflies.

If there is a certainty they would not be contaminated with pesticides, yes,

It is easy enough to breed your own feeders, maybe consider that. Crickets, meal and wax worms, fly larvae etc.

I had a good number of spiders I tried breeding earwigs for, it works, but they don't populate very fast.

Breed meal worms, you can have more than you need, feed excess to the wild fence lizards and birds. The adult darkling beetle may be too hard for their liking, but some needed for propagating colonies.

• olivia

Yes...........................you feed

They don't like beetles or bugs with hard shells they like soft shell bugs so you can feed them soft shell bugs and they'll likely enjoy them

Yes. Any insect can be consumed by reptile pet.