g
g asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 12 months ago

Will this make a good backup pc?

Got and old pc from work after we upgraded everything, not sure what to do with it.

Dell optiplex 790

Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz;

4Gb DDR3 Installed;

Hard Drive: 250GB 3.5" SATA

It has win 7 professional with office installed.

This particular pc also has a radeon 5450 graphics card so I can use on full hd displays. It has a dvi to vga adapter but no hdmi.

It has 10 usb slots....

No wifi but a spare pci slot so I can add on to it.

This was a work pc which was not used much at all. Not sure what to do with it, it seems sufficient as a backup, for emails and watching movies maybe to put in a guest room or I can probably sell it for 100usd or so.

I'd buy it from you for about $50.

Then I'd upgrade it to an i7, 16gb of RAM, add a SSD, a video card like the RX 570 or 580, and replace the PSU. Then I'd resell it for $300.

• stan l

Yeah. It's also a nice HTPC. Are you sure the Radeon 5450 doesn't have an HDMI port? I have 3 of them on the shelf and they all have HDMI ports.

• Andy T

Sure it is a nice spare, nothing of it is above board but it should be a nice fallback for most uses.

I'm at Statesboro PC Doctor I know exactly what you're talking about when you say dell 790 the computer can be upgraded to use 8 gigs of RAM simply install the latest bios first. And you can easily upgrade the hard drive to a 1tb hard drive preferably one that is combination SSD and physical hard drive a 3.1 dual core processor with that much RAM and a SSD assisted hard drive will work for just about anything you want to use it for it's not going to play graphic intensive games but it will play light games and you can stream videos on it and watch Netflix and YouTube and use it to backup your information and go on the internet I've got 16 gigs of RAM running on mine and I'm using it as a retail server. As long as it's on DDR3 RAM it still has some useful life in it and yes you can get $100 for it.

• John

For free, for what you say, sure, why not. You aren't going to get $100 for it anyplace, though.

I recently bought a laptop, for about $170.00.

I think it has: 4 cores, 8GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, 15 inch screen, Microsoft Windows 10.

First I would install the maximum amount of memory it will support,then either a bigger or secondary hard drive and lastly if needed see what processor you can exchange for it.

I wouldn't be happy with that low-end processor as it would be more of a hassle to deal with a sluggish PC.

• g

I was thinking of buying a mini pc type rig with an hdmi just for playing stuff directly on my tv. Since this does not have an hdmi I might sell it to help fund that purchase. Or I can keep this and buy a 32'' monitor with a vga input which would cost less than a mini pc...