Can you use a gas stove when it is not plugged into the outlet?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Depends. Some of the new ones have a solenoid safety valve, flame sensor that do not allow gas to flow w/o juice.

Older ones, fine. The cord is for electric igniter, timer, lights. Can light with a match.

Source(s): worked in appliance store 1978-'80. they were just changing to the new system.the new ones were pilotless, too.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Depends.

My last gas stove had an electric igniter, but I could light it with a match if the power was out.

I specifically bought one I could do this with because that house always lost power several times during the winter and I wanted to be able to cook when the power was out.

• 6 months ago

Modern gas stoves have an ignitor which requires electrical hookups. Older models use a pilot light which does not require electricity.

• 6 months ago

no. the igniter won't work

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Never heard of matches or any other sort of self-contained "lighter"?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not if it is natural gas. The gas meter is electric and senses when the gas is not lit so stops the flowing so you need electricity to make it all work. A propane BBQ does not need electricity to work but the stove is different. So is the gas furnace. It also needs electricity.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I don't know what the electric part does. Maybe the lighters. If you light the burners with a match it should work. U R talking about electricity aren't you?

• 6 months ago

You could, IF the controls were not electric. MOST gas stoves that have an electric cord are designed to ONLY allow gas to flow when electric power is available.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

We have several gas-fired cooktops that work just fine when the power is out. You simply use a match or pocket lighter to light the burners you need lit.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes you can use a gas stove even when it's not plugged in to an outlet bye lighting the burners with a match or a lighter. Most of those electronic igniter stoves allow the gas to come through the burners but some do not some have a safety switch so that if the stove is unplugged from the electricity you can't get any gas to come through. You'll just have to try and see if when you turn on the burner any gas comes through. And if it comes through use a long lighter to light it. Back in my day they didn't even have gas stoves that had electronic igniters.

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes; but stoves with electronic igniters (vs. a standing pilot light) will have to be lit with a match.

• 6 months ago

Most of them are electrically lit. Those you can't use without electricity. But some of the older ones (no longer made) were lit by matches. Those you can use without electricity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.