Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 11 months ago

Should I let my 13 year old son hang out with 17-18 year old boys?

I am hesitant because from what I observe, children who hang out with older crowds are more likely to engage in delinquent behaviours. We recently had a 14 year old who died from being given drugs in our city. His mom told the news that he hung out with 18, 19 and 20 year olds because he struggled to relate to kids his own age. I do not want anything to happen to my own kids. Generally, it’d be very hard to supervise him and his friends because most older teens don’t want a parent around. I’m sure my son would be embarrassed by me as well.

• Cammie

18, 19 and 20+ yr olds are adults.They have no business hanging with a young teen.Very dangerous.

If these are people he met online then no, if he met them in the neighborhood and these are people that you know and trust then It's ok but he should still tell you who he's hanging out with.

I am a 18 year old girl and when i was 13 i used to hang out with older people ( 17/18/19 even in 20's sometimes ) and i will tell you it was fun for me VERY FUN actually but i learned stuff i shouldn't know at such young age many things ( drugs / sex / love / self mastrubation even) and at such young age i got addicted to mastrubation which is a sin and i started seeking attention of boys because all of the older girls i was hanging out with were taken but at the time i didn't see it as they were mature and old enough to do such things i just wanted to be like them . So i will tell you do not let him hang out with old people they are nothing but bad influence trust me . My brother was also in this position , he hung out with older dudes and my mother found a sexual conversation between him and a old guy ( aka pedophile ) my brother was like 14 at the time and this guy was in his 20's

• Niko

Learn the definition of words before you use them. Pedophiles are sexually attracted to kids who have NOT yet reached puberty. A hebephile is sexually attracted to kids in early stages of puberty (11-14 typically).

he gonna get sold to pirates my dude

I would make sure that these older boys will be positive role models for your son and will not bribe him into doing anything harmful to his health or life. If they are troublemakers, I would warn him to not hang out with them.

• edward

I hand out with older people at work, granted i’m 25 and all of the older people i know are mothers with children around my age. When i was 16 and starting as a lifeguard i had friend who were early 20’s but me being normal and having a good head on my shoulders and being mature i know how to pick good friends. If you have a kid stupid enough to get mixed up in a mess...get to know his friends. You have to be able to pick them out of a line up

You should not let your 13 year old hang out with 17 and 18 year old people. It's a recipe for disaster. Do you want your 13 year old boy to be getting drugs and alcohol and exposed to sexual exploitation. Cuz that's exactly what's going to happen

• 11 months agoReport

Well said your son shouldn’t hang out with older boys as most of them do drugs and drink etc and they will get your son into it and that’s not the sort of boys you want around a 13 year old child . He needs friends who are his age not older he’s too young to hang out with them .

not a great idea....BUT TIRH dear...He needs friends his own age.

He is too young for that right now

• R L

I raised my boys on my own..the answer is be a parent and no do not let them hang with older guys....TROUBLE.