Robin
Lv 7
Robin asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 6 months ago

Why does both the BBC and ITV speak in working class English and not proper British English?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because they wish to sound half witted to be like you!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

There's no such thing as 'working class' English. 'Posh' English is now called received pronunciation. And 'working class' accents are actually regional accents.

• 6 months ago

Because with Brexit and the backstop, they needed to stop pronoucing 'Ireland' as 'Island' and 'Eye-a-land'.

There was, is, and always will be an 'r' ... ;)

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It seems to be what the viewers want: cannot be any other explanation as to why Ant and Dec are two of the highest paid presenters on TV.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

So the rest of the world can understand .

• Jimmy C
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It is harder to understand regional accents than proper English.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I really don't know, old chap. The degeneracy sweeping across England has now been embraced by the media.

It's really not on, is it?

Working class people have no place on TV, my good man!

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The PC prats want more diversity, we even have Geordies at it....

• 6 months ago

Because sadly, all TV channels seem to think they have to adopt the 'common touch' these days. I'm by no means for the old plum in mouth sound the BBC people used to have - and even the Queen doesn't speak like that any longer, but listening to the common touch (or regional accents) now favoured, does irritate.

Too bad - innit. Love the Janet Street Porter comment!!!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Received Pronunciation went out of fashion long ago. Now it is all about inclusivity which unfortunately means including Janet Street Porter.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Because most people in the UK don't speak "proper British English, by which I take it you mean like "hayoo the Queen speaks" (what we'd call "Fraffly" as in "thet was fraffly good of you to do that").

• Jimmy C
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

But there is a correct English pronunciation which used to be used on the news for all announcers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.